The whirlwind love affair between Kim Dotcom and Auckland student Elizabeth Donnelly has ended as suddenly as it began - just two days after revealing his new flame, the Megaupload founder says he's called it off with the 21-year-old brunette.
Kim confirmed the news on his official Twitter account, hinting that he moved to end the relationship for Elizabeth's sake.
"Elizabeth and I have ended our romance. It is unacceptable how the media/public is treating her," he wrote.
"She's a good person and shouldn't be subject to shaming or abuse. I can't accept her getting hurt and it is better for her without me."
Kim initially described himself as "the luckiest man alive" after sharing a photo of his new love on Instagram earlier this week. The romance was his first since estranged wife Mona left him in May 2014, and Kim later told the Herald he was serious about the business and law student.
“I thought I would never love again,” Kim told the New Zealand Herald.
“My heart turned ice cold after my separation from Mona. To love and be loved is what happiness is all about. I'm so happy that I met Liz and that I can feel those butterflies again.”
While Kim seemed smitten with the new woman in his life, it didn't take long for rumours to begin swirling around the pair. Their fast-tracked fling attracted plenty of attention, with Kim revealing Elizabeth had already moved into his waterfront penthouse despite the pair first interacting over text messages on Instagram just eight weeks ago.
Earlier today, it emerged that Elizabeth had broken up with previous boyfriend Mark Harrison only a week ago - the former couple had even enjoyed an idyllic Thailand getaway together before parting ways.
However, Kim told the Herald he knew of the relationship all along and had actually encouraged the holiday in order to give Elizabeth more time to think about who she wanted to be with.
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am