The whirlwind love affair between Kim Dotcom and Auckland student Elizabeth Donnelly has ended as suddenly as it began - just two days after revealing his new flame, the Megaupload founder says he's called it off with the 21-year-old brunette.
Kim confirmed the news on his official Twitter account, hinting that he moved to end the relationship for Elizabeth's sake.
"Elizabeth and I have ended our romance. It is unacceptable how the media/public is treating her," he wrote.
"She's a good person and shouldn't be subject to shaming or abuse. I can't accept her getting hurt and it is better for her without me."
Kim initially described himself as "the luckiest man alive" after sharing a photo of his new love on Instagram earlier this week. The romance was his first since estranged wife Mona left him in May 2014, and Kim later told the Herald he was serious about the business and law student.
“I thought I would never love again,” Kim told the New Zealand Herald.
“My heart turned ice cold after my separation from Mona. To love and be loved is what happiness is all about. I'm so happy that I met Liz and that I can feel those butterflies again.”
While Kim seemed smitten with the new woman in his life, it didn't take long for rumours to begin swirling around the pair. Their fast-tracked fling attracted plenty of attention, with Kim revealing Elizabeth had already moved into his waterfront penthouse despite the pair first interacting over text messages on Instagram just eight weeks ago.
Earlier today, it emerged that Elizabeth had broken up with previous boyfriend Mark Harrison only a week ago - the former couple had even enjoyed an idyllic Thailand getaway together before parting ways.
However, Kim told the Herald he knew of the relationship all along and had actually encouraged the holiday in order to give Elizabeth more time to think about who she wanted to be with.
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am