The whirlwind love affair between Kim Dotcom and Auckland student Elizabeth Donnelly has ended as suddenly as it began - just two days after revealing his new flame, the Megaupload founder says he's called it off with the 21-year-old brunette.
Kim confirmed the news on his official Twitter account, hinting that he moved to end the relationship for Elizabeth's sake.
"Elizabeth and I have ended our romance. It is unacceptable how the media/public is treating her," he wrote.
"She's a good person and shouldn't be subject to shaming or abuse. I can't accept her getting hurt and it is better for her without me."
Kim initially described himself as "the luckiest man alive" after sharing a photo of his new love on Instagram earlier this week. The romance was his first since estranged wife Mona left him in May 2014, and Kim later told the Herald he was serious about the business and law student.
“I thought I would never love again,” Kim told the New Zealand Herald.
“My heart turned ice cold after my separation from Mona. To love and be loved is what happiness is all about. I'm so happy that I met Liz and that I can feel those butterflies again.”
While Kim seemed smitten with the new woman in his life, it didn't take long for rumours to begin swirling around the pair. Their fast-tracked fling attracted plenty of attention, with Kim revealing Elizabeth had already moved into his waterfront penthouse despite the pair first interacting over text messages on Instagram just eight weeks ago.
Earlier today, it emerged that Elizabeth had broken up with previous boyfriend Mark Harrison only a week ago - the former couple had even enjoyed an idyllic Thailand getaway together before parting ways.
However, Kim told the Herald he knew of the relationship all along and had actually encouraged the holiday in order to give Elizabeth more time to think about who she wanted to be with.
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveToday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayToday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveYesterday 2:42pm
- FamilyThe new online shopping portal giving back to Kiwi charities
Now To LoveYesterday 1:11pm
- FamilyThe Topp Twins on facing their first Christmas without their beloved dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:50am
- CareerMeet the woman behind one of New Zealand's most classic Kiwi holiday tunes
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:44am
- PetsPet quirks and personalities: Finding the right pet for you and your family
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- SkincareThe difference between natural and chemical sunscreen
- BodyRadio star Sarah Gandy celebrates beating breast cancer
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveDec 09, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayDec 09, 2019