Long before Brad and Angie, Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland had one of the most epic splits in Hollywood history.
Their whirlwind romance came crashing down in a cloud of suspicion and drama. And now, 25 years on, Kiefer is speaking out on their 1991 split, revealing there are no hard feelings.
In fact, the 24 star has praised his former fiancée for being true to herself and calling off their marriage.“I think she had the courage. It wasn't what she wanted to do in the end. And I think it took a lot of courage, in amongst all of that other stuff, to be able to say, I can't do this,” Kiefer explained during a chat on the The Jess Cagle Interview segment.
At the time, the Pretty Woman stunner caused controversy for moving on swiftly with Kiefer’s good friend and actor, Jason Patric.
“We were young and we were both very much in love, we had decided that we wanted to get married, but then this other thing kind of took over,” Kiefer reflected.
The star also touched on how overwhelming the attention surrounding their nuptials had become.
“She was arguably the most famous woman in the world, and this wedding that was supposed to be something between the two of us, became something so big,” the 49-year-old said.
WATCH: Kiefer recalls meeting Julia Roberts. Post continues after the video...
Julia and Kiefer, who fell in love on the set of the 1990 flick Flatliners, were scheduled to get married in front of 150 guests at the 20th Century Fox’s Soundstage in LA.
All the plans were set in place but just two days before the lavish celebrations were due to set place, Julia pulled the pin.
The actress, who was 23 at the time, reportedly spent the day of her would-be wedding with Patric in Ireland.
"Julia broke my heart. When I get hold of Jason I am going to tear him limb from limb. That snake pretended to be my best friend and all the time he was really after my girl," Kiefer fumed at the time.
But the drama didn’t end there!
Shortly before Julia dumped him, Kiefer’s reputation took a battering when a stripper called Amanda Rice went public with allegations she was having an affair with the star.
WATCH: Julia talks about the key to a successful marriage. Post continues after the video...
Despite being ditched at such short notice, 25 years later it appears time heals all wounds and Kiefer is still fond of Julia.
“I fell very much in love with her. So it was kind of, again, very much like Lost Boys. It was a really exciting time in my life,” he reflected.
In 2002, Julia married cameraman Daniel Moder. The pair share three children together. Kiefer has been divorced twice and is currently single.
This story originally appeared on Woman's Day Australia
- CareerRachel Hunter's spiritual awakening: Sexy, single, soulful and fabulous at 50
Woman's DayToday 7:55am
- RelationshipsA body language expert's top tips on how to introduce your new partner to your family
Now To LoveYesterday 2:34pm
- FamilyAll Black World Cup dads talk fatherhood and being away from their kids
Now To LoveYesterday 1:45pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine brought this beloved possession along with her on tour
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- RelationshipsPaula and Zane Nicholl: Matched by a radio station and still madly in love 20 years later
Now To LoveYesterday 9:55am
- WeddingsFamily feud: The heartache that looms over Bindi Irwin's wedding
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:46am
- Real LifeHow Gwyneth Paltrow was integral to the fall of Harvey Weinstein
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:39am
- Real LifeA TV series is being made about the case that still grips NZers 25 years on: The Bain murders
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:30am
- MindCould sound healing be the answer to enhancing your wellbeing?
Now To LoveOct 16, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals Archie went to playgroup for the first time and ‘he loved it’
Now To LoveOct 16, 2019