It’s not all glitz and glamour being married to the Prime Minister, says Bronagh Key.
In reality, New Zealand’s “first lady” is just as happy tidying up after her kids, Stephie, 23, and Max, 20, as she is chatting to the Queen.
“Once, I went from staying in Balmoral Castle to flying to Paris, and the next morning I was on my hands and knees scrubbing the toilet,” she laughs, as she gives the New Zealand Woman’s Weekly a sneak peek into her life away from the cameras.
Stephie has been living in France since enrolling in art school when she was 17, and now produces work under the name Cherry Lazar, while Max has recently taken a role as a radio DJ while completing his studies at the University of Auckland.
Juggling two adorable guide dog puppies for her role as ambassador for the Blind Foundation, the 52-year-old admits being in the spotlight is not always easy.
“I think you have to have a good sense of self, be reasonably independent, have a sense of humour and a thick skin - although you learn that as you go along,” she says.
“It wouldn’t be right to say I don’t enjoy it, but I have never made any secret of the fact I’m more backward in coming forward,” she says of her public profile.
But that won’t stop her getting out to collect for this year’s Red Puppy Appeal.
Just as she has in previous years, Bronagh will be rattling a can for donations during the foundation’s street appeal, which runs on April 1 and 2.
WATCH: John Key steps down as Prime Minister
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayYesterday 3:15pm
- Married at First SightYou won't believe who Married at First Sight's Tamara Joy has hooked up with now
Now To LoveYesterday 10:40am
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019