His show may be called Hell's Kitchen - but it appears hell has frozen over.
In 2006, Gordon Ramsay famously went about a kitchen demanding to know where the lamb sauce was. In 2007, he told Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Cole "Didn't you get the message? Vegetarians aren't welcome here."
He admitted that "I won't mind my little girls dating boys as long as they don't bring back a vegetarian!"
In an interview with the Daily Mirror, he revealed that his children going vegetarian would be his "biggest nightmare". He claimed that if his children were to go vege he would "sit them on the fence and electrocute them".
That last comment had The Beatles star Sir Paul McCartney piping up to talk about the advantages of vegetarianism. "I'd be happier if everyone was vegetarian. The planet would be better off for it," he said.
Sir Paul must have gotten through, because the chef has announced on Twitter that he is "giving this #vegan thing a try".
Naturally, Twitter had a field day. The post was inundated with support, horrified protests and confused reaction gifs.
Gordon hasn't yet shared his rationale for the change - though he did recently admit his weight has been an area of focus in his marriage.
Though no other announcements have been made - his restaurants haven't announced a conversion yet - Ramsay's announcement is a momentous shift in the foodie community.
Many celebrities have given up meat, but few chefs as influential as Ramsay have come out in support of the often-made-fun-of movement.
However, with technology for meatless-meat and vegan nutrition improving every day, the diet is becoming more accessible by the day.
Whatever your food-preferences, Gordon's choice is clear evidence that the tide is shifting on meat-consumption.
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayYesterday 3:15pm
- Married at First SightYou won't believe who Married at First Sight's Tamara Joy has hooked up with now
Now To LoveYesterday 10:40am
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019