Hockey star Gemma Flynn may have had her Olympic dreams shattered over the weekend, but she isn’t that letting that darken her smile.
The 26-year-old Black Sticks player, who is from Tauranga, shared a snap of her and fiancé Richie McCaw next to the famous statue of Christ in the Brazilian city today – as the couple prepare to fly home to NZ.
“Checking out the local sites on our last day in Rio,” wrote Gemma, before she addressed her team’s Olympic loss over the weekend.
“We didn’t achieve our dream of an Olympic medal but thanks to everyone for your support. I’m very proud to be a part of a group of amazing women who gave their all for this campaign.”
The Black Sticks were left heartbroken when their dreams of an Olympic final were dashed by a Great Britain 3-0 win last week.
And there was further disappointment for the team, who are ranked number 3 in the world, when they lost out on a bronze during their play off against Germany at the weekend.
Earlier in the tournament, Gemma posted the message: “Don’t let today’s disappointment cast a shadow on tomorrow’s dreams. Thank you for all the support over here in Rio and back in NZ, we truly appreciate it and will be doing everything we can for that Bronze medal.”
Sadly the Kiwi side came up against some tough opposition from the Germans, who won 2-1 on Saturday.
Check out some of Gemma's Insta snaps from Rio below.
- RoyalsIs this a clue that Duchess Meghan is relaunching her lifestyle blog The Tig?
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerFrom Shortland Street to water births: Katherine McRae's new focus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- RoyalsNew book details the lives of the photographers who captured the royals behind closed doors
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- FamilyNadene Lomu's tearful confession: Pushed to breaking point after Jonah's death
Woman's DayToday 7:45am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ brides share the details on their wedding dresses
Woman's DayYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe one thing Jodie Rimmer did on Celebrity Treasure Island that her children made her apologise for
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- At homeThe sensitive skin laundry hack that makes your clothes soft and speeds up drying time
Now To LoveYesterday 8:24am
- EntertainmentWoman's Day Bonds X-Temp hottest media hunk has been crowned
Woman's DayYesterday 8:21am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan shares an adorable unseen photo from Archie’s christening for Prince Harry’s birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- TVThe top five moments from Celebrity Treasure Island this week
Now To LoveSep 15, 2019
- CareerHelen Mirren on why being old is 'cool' and marriage is great
The Australian Women's WeeklySep 15, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a $500 Countdown voucher to launch your Disney Word tile collection
Woman's DaySep 15, 2019
- BodyDWTS winner Loryn Reynolds' sister can finally dance again after losing a whopping 70kg
Woman's DaySep 14, 2019
- TVMatt Chisholm is leaving TVNZ to ''farm children, rocks and rabbits'' in Otago
Now To LoveSep 13, 2019