Comedian Ellen DeGeneres is famous for her sense of humour and funny skits. But this time, she’s been sued for one of her jokes.
Scroll down for video
During her daytime talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show, she mispronounced a woman’s name to make breast joke – and the woman isn’t happy.
Titi Pierce, 35, whose first name is pronounced “Tee Tee”, is taking Warner Bros Entertainment Inc (the parent company of the show) to court after the comedian called the real estate agent “Titty Pierce”. Ellen read out the woman’s adverts during a segment called ‘What’s wrong with these ads… and these signs?’
The lawsuit read: “In all of her 35 years of life, no one has ever referred to Ms Pierce as ‘titty’ until the Defendant did so on February 22, 2016 on national television.”
It then led to “immediate ridicule” from the audience. Pierce is claiming they intentionally inflicted emotional distress.
Producers are also targeted in the lawsuit as they didn’t blur out Pierce’s mobile number on the show, to which she then received “ridiculing and harassing” phone calls while she was attending a family funeral.
Titi is a name stemming from Nigeria and means ‘flower’.
Pierce is seeking monetary damages from the lawsuit and is demanding they never show the segment again – on TV or social media.
VIDEO: Check out the controversial segment below
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020