On paper, The Block NZ: Girls vs Boys contestant Courtney MacKay and her rugby-pro fiancé Joe Wheeler would make the perfect team for a home-renovation show. The Highlanders star has got the brawn for all the manual labour and her background in design would make the interiors a breeze.
But despite seemingly ticking all the boxes, the longtime couple insist they’d be far from a dream TV duo.
“I’ve always said I couldn’t do it with Joe,” laughs Courtney. “I’d get angry with him more easily and tell him exactly what I think. Doing it with Emma, I know I’ll still be friends with her at the end!”
But it’s not just 25-year-old Courtney who is glad about her having best mate Emma Diamond by her side on the TV3 reality series – Joe, 28, is perfectly content as a couch supporter at their home in Dunedin.
“I am super-competitive and I know I’d frustrate Courtney as I’d demand so much from her. It would be extremely stressful on our relationship.” With a cheeky grin, he adds, “I wouldn’t want to be in Emma’s shoes!”
It’s this kind of playful banter that first made the couple first click seven years ago. In what they describe as “not a very romantic story”, the pair met in a dusty old bar in Courtney’s hometown of Blenheim, where Joe struck up the courage to ask the petite blonde for her number.
He says it was their chats and jokes that convinced him Courtney was a keeper from the get-go. “That and she’s a pretty good-looking girl,” admits the Cantabrian athlete. “We have great banter and she found me quite funny, so that was a good start!”
The couple have only grown closer since then, with Joe popping the question last year after a romantic helicopter ride up to a mountain near Kaiteriteri.
The rugby star couldn’t be prouder of his girl for tackling the challenges of The Block.
“She doesn’t like going out of her comfort zone, so it’s awesome to see her do something that doesn’t come naturally. I’m so proud of her for doing it,” he reveals.
See more loved-up photos of the pair in our gallery
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
12 / 0
13 / 0
14 / 0
15 / 0
- CompetitionsWin a Limited Edition Sacred Hill Copper Foil Print
Good Health ChoicesToday 5:00pm
- BodyCould a weighted blanket help you stress less and sleep better?
Now To LoveToday 4:15pm
- CareerWhat Kiwi actress Ginette McDonald really thinks of her daughter Kate McGill following in her footsteps
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:30am
- RoyalsPrince Harry’s reaction to this boy not believing he’s a real royal is seriously priceless
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- FamilyHow art therapy helped us cope with the grief of losing their dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:04am
- Real LifeThe question that caused Jacinda Ardern to falter during her visit to Cashmere High School
Now To LoveYesterday 4:39pm
- FitnessThe reasons why you should also be foam rolling before you work out
Now To LoveYesterday 4:30pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine has made her first ever solo public appearance with The Queen
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Sam Wallace and his adorable new obsession - baby Brando
Woman's DayYesterday 1:50pm
- FamilyEight ways to get your kids off their screens and out into nature
Now To LoveYesterday 11:43am