Anyone’s who has Coeliac Disease or gluten sensitivity knows the struggle of going to an event, requesting a gluten-free meal only to end up with a sad piece of fruit.
Which is exactly what happened to Martin Pavelka – only it happened on board a nine-hour flight.
The Londoner was travelling from Sydney to Tokyo aboard an All Nippon Airways flight when, during the breakfast meal service, he was presented with a single banana, a sachet of salt and cutlery.
Cutlery and seasoning weirdness aside, Martin was left to go hungry for the remainder of his journey while his fellow passengers tucked into hearty meal.
“All other passengers were served full breakfast meal consisting of eggs, sausage, mushrooms, bread, and yogurt,” Martin told the Evening Standard.
Again, anyone who has Coeliac Disease or gluten sensitivity would know that eggs, sausages, mushrooms and yogurt are generally all gluten-free options and so there was no reason why Martin was not offered at least some of the same meal.
“As a Coeliac, I always order gluten free meal on my flights. Sometimes they are bland, sometimes they are actually much better than the ordinary meal service," he told the publication.
“In my opinion, I don’t think they [All Nippon Airways] really get the concept of allergies and alternative meals.”
The flight cost Martin more than $2000, although he has likened the experience to a budget airline.
“At the price I paid, you would expect something more than that [a banana].”
Martin has since filed a complaint with the airline but is yet to hear anything.
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am