And if you want to stay in the heart of the action, nothing quite beats Times Square. It’s the quintessential New York experience – after all, where else in the world are there so many big screens, superheros and people in one place?
Times Square stretches from West 42nd to West 47th St, at the junction of 7th and Broadway in Midtown Manhattan, and it’s easy to get to by subway on the 1,2,3,7, N and Q lines most times of the day.
Most people are happy to take a seat in the bleachers and watch the passing parade of people and flickering screens – or go to the filming of Good Morning America.
The local characters are worth a look – there’s Elmo, Iron Man and many others – some great, some not so great… It’s also home to the famous Naked Cowboy, now considered New York’s biggest tourist attraction. And if shopping’s your thing, there’s plenty to be done, though it’s not the bags and shoes many head to NYC for – think Disney Store, M&M’s World and Toys R Us.
If theatre and entertainment is more your style – you’re in the right place. Head to the TKTS Booth every day to see what shows are on sale – it’s at Father Duffy Square at Broadway and 47th Street and offers discounted tickets to same-day performances for Broadway, Off Broadway, dance and music events. During our stay we saw Orlando Bloom in Romeo And Juliet – a once-in-a-lifetime experience! If you want to book a show ahead, try broadway.org for all ticket info.
Where to stay?
If you really want a true New York experience, stay right in the heart of it. Crowne Plaza Times Square is right in the thick of the action and with 795 rooms it’s big enough for everyone! It’s an upscale hotel just steps from the theatre district, with views of Times Square, the Hudson River or the Manhattan skyline.
A great bar in the lobby looks out over the action, as does the restaurant, also home to an amazing buffet breakfast every morning. The rooms are large and comfortable, with plenty of space for your purchases. Room service does a great burger, too.
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayYesterday 3:15pm
- Married at First SightYou won't believe who Married at First Sight's Tamara Joy has hooked up with now
Now To LoveYesterday 10:40am
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019