There’s so much more to this central plateau gem than a lake (although it’s a pretty amazing lake).
It’s second time round for me and Wanderlust, Taupo’s annual yoga-cum-personal encounter festival, but this time I took my 14-year-old daughter and once again was wowed by the slick organisation of this feel-good event.
I can’t imagine a better place than Taupo and the former Wairakei resort to host the 2000-plus yoga enthusiasts who descend on what is now widely regarded as New Zealand’s spiritual heart centre.
Expect good food, morning chanting, evening dancing, yoga all day, geothermal steam that rises up out of the bush and even an encounter or two with a real-life guru.
If you’ve ever wanted to try raw food, trapeze yoga or a handstand with a rock band accompaniment, plan now for Waitangi 2018. Your chakras will thank you.
After putting in long hours on the mat at Wanderlust, it was time to go further afield, and a massage and dip at DeBretts Spa Resort was just what the muscles ordered.
A 15-minute drive from down- town Taupo, this hot-pool wonderland, set in a steaming thermal valley, is paradise.
I opted for a long soak in the hot mineral springs, followed by a Hot Volcanic Stone massage at Living Waters Spa, situated onsite.
While the teenager zoomed down the Blue Crush hydro slide, I melted away my troubles on a massage table as the soothing click-clack of the hot stones patted out a gentle rhythm in my eardrums.
The next day was a different rhythm – more of a thrum, to be precise, as we boarded a Chris Jolly Cruise Cat for a morning on Lake Taupo.
The day was clear but chilly as we jetted out across the lake to view the Maori rock carvings at Mine Bay. At 14m high, these carvings, sculpted over four years and completed in 1980, are the largest of their type on the planet and only reached by boat.
As the waves whipped up around us, there were a few green faces on board, but the majesty of the carvings and the views back across the water were well worth it.
The café and restaurant scene in Taupo is vast and varied, so we opted for a Mediterranean-New Zealand – yes, it’s a thing – feast at
The Vine Eatery and Bar. We weren’t disappointed. We shared tapas to start, with the garlic prawns and Manchego cheese croquettes a highlight. Smoky pasta followed for the youngest member of the group, while the pan-fried snapper on a bed of fennel, quinoa and watercress was fresh and tasty, and the duck breast with parsnip purée cooked to perfection.
Dessert? You betcha. I don’t know how, but we managed to fit in vanilla brûlée, apple cheesecake and frangelico affogato. Oink!
Whether it’s on the way in or out of Taupo, no trip is complete without a stop, walk and stroll to the majestic Huka Falls.
Thundering is the only word to describe this 11-metre waterfall, one of New Zealand’s most visited and photographed natural attractions.
Meander the walking tracks along the river and take a selfie from one of the viewing platforms. From every angle, this flowing water knows how to turn it on.
- FamilyHappy birthday Neve! New Zealand's First Baby turns one!
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- FitnessAdele’s taken up a new healthy hobby and it’s helped her lose more than 6kg
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- RelationshipsOlympic rower Emma Twigg's whirlwind proposal: 'When you know, you know'
Woman's DayToday 10:00am
- FitnessSilver Swans: the ballet class for dancers aged 55-plus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:15am
- CompetitionsBe in to win the trip of a lifetime to Italy with Jo Seagar!
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsMike Tindall makes the Queen laugh when he reveals what's hiding under his top hat
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsA woman is in hospital after an accident involving Prince William and Duchess Catherine's royal convoy
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Real LifeJoyous news! Sub title technology for the hearing impaired is being trialled at NZ cinemas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsRoyal ladies in blue! See all the gorgeous outfits from the first day of Royal Ascot 2019
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- MindGemma McCaw's 6 steps to being confident in your own skin
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesJun 18, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019