The Bachelor NZ, Jordan Mauger has finally broken his silence about why he broke up with winner Fleur Verhoeven.
In a statement, the 32-year-old revealed he was "being dishonest" to himself and to Fleur.
"Fleur is a remarkable woman. There is no doubt about that. What I have struggled with is interpreting my feelings from the show to the real world," he said.
"For the last seven weeks, Fleur and myself shared concerns and doubts over that time. Hoping that feelings would reignite again.With contributing factors like distance, media, remaining episodes, secrecy, it made it very difficult.
"After a long absence and only seeing her for the first time onstage, I knew something was a miss. After an exhausting schedule of media commitments and the dust settled. I knew I was being dishonest to Fleur and myself.
"It is only fair Fleur is with someone who can give her the best and give her the commitment and love she deserves. It is a great shame the feelings I had on the show haven’t translated into real life."I know Fleur will go on to do great things. Her talents and caring nature will put her great position for anything she decides to do. She will always have my full support and I care for her greatly."
The news of the shock split broke on Wednesday night, when Fleur revealed on TV3's Story Jordan had dumped her just 48 hours after the final rose ceremony screened on television.
"It has been something neither of us have ever had to deal with. He has been very respectful towards me and in all honesty I would rather have him tell me this now than tell me in a couple of months time. He was actually really respectful in saying this now," she told the show.
"I've been crying. It's not been easy, it's been a rough couple of hours."
"I've told him, if it was up to me I'd love to give it a shot. I do have feelings for him. I wouldn't say I love him because it was very early days but I was definitely interested in getting to know him better."
Fleur said she didn't think runner-up Naz Khanjani was the reason The Bachelor called time on their relationship, but admitted she was upset by her recent behaviour.
"It is disappointing to see that Naz is acting the way she is. All I can say is that it is disappointing."
In a radio interview earlier in the day, runner-up Naz revealed she and Jordan had slept together more than once.
Her behaviour on the live finale show, which screened on Tuesday night, was also the subject of much online chatter.
During the filming, Naz screamed and swore at an audience member that called her "a bitch" and was the subject of discussion by many returning bachelorettes who didn't hold back when asked about the way she behaved during the competition.
Watch Naz describe her relationship with Jordan
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019