Paula McLain’s The Paris Wife created a sensation when she evoked the alcohol-fuelled, four-times married life of literary giant Ernest Hemingway. Liza Klaussmann is set to do the same for lesser known 1920s couple, Sara and modernist painter husband Gerald Murphy, whose Villa America on the French Riviera hosted expat parties for writers, artists and famed bohemians.
They were said to be the inspiration for F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel Tender is the Night, and he and his wife Zelda, along with Pablo and Olga Picasso and Cole Porter, were among the Murphys’ cocktail set.
Drawing a new moth to their flame with fictional character Owen Chambers, a sexually ambiguous aviator, Klaussmann skilfully invites us to the much vaunted parties, too. A bumpkin boy of few words, Owen may be mocked by the literary set as “emotionally economical”, but the men and women swoon – he is built like “an inverted triangle”.
Tragedy lies ahead, but the golden days of magnificent men and their flying machines, raucous afternoons skinny dipping and heady hangovers are delicious.
- At homeEntertaining with ease thanks to the latest tech products
Now To LoveToday 11:50am
- RoyalsTake a look back at Queen Elizabeth’s first televised Christmas message 62 years ago
Now To LoveToday 11:30am
- MindZac Guildford's candid confession about his battle with drugs and depression
Woman's DayToday 9:50am
- SkincareAcne and exfoliating: does it make your skin worse?
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- RoyalsThe impact of having Sussex Royal follow you on Instagram
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- MakeupDo eyebrows grow back? How to regrow over plucked brows
Now To LoveYesterday 2:42pm
- FamilyThe new online shopping portal giving back to Kiwi charities
Now To LoveYesterday 1:11pm
- FamilyThe Topp Twins on facing their first Christmas without their beloved dad
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:50am
- CareerMeet the woman behind one of New Zealand's most classic Kiwi holiday tunes
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:44am
- PetsPet quirks and personalities: Finding the right pet for you and your family
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- SkincareThe difference between natural and chemical sunscreen
- BodyRadio star Sarah Gandy celebrates beating breast cancer
Woman's DayYesterday 8:55am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan's tips for hosting the perfect Christmas dinner
Now To LoveDec 09, 2019
- FamilyGemma McCaw's Christmas joy: 'Words can't describe how grateful I am'
Woman's DayDec 09, 2019