1.Southwest of Salem
This follows the story of the San Antonio Four, four Latina lesbian women in Texas who were accused, and wrongfully convicted of gang raping two girls, aged seven and nine, in 1994. The accused were aged just 19, 20 and 21 and were sentenced to a collective 92 and a half years in prison for their alleged crimes.
The film fights to prove that the womens' convictions came about due to bias against their sexual orientation. "As lesbian low income women of color, these women hold intersecting identities that make them the most vulnerable to incarceration and juror bias," says director Deborah S. Esquenazi.
The story of the first mass school shooting in America. Tower, which premiered at SXSW film festival this year, is the terrifying true story of Charles Whitman, an ex-Marine, who climbed the tower on the University of Texas campus and shot 49 people, killing 16, in 1966.
Charles, who was later found to have a tumour on his brain, was a trained sniper and shot many of his victims from bonkers distances. Tower, directed by Keith Maitland, combines archived footage and animation to tell the story of that day when, as Keith says, "when the worst in one man brought out the best in so many others." How's that for a tagline?
Netflix's next look at true crime. This eight-part series is set to look at delicate hostage situations around the world. According to Variety, "The episodes look at a wide range of situations from the viewpoint of everyone involved: the victims and their families back home, the negotiators, business leaders, government officials and the kidnappers."
4. Entering Hades
This is miles off being done but it looks smashing. Rumoured to feature Michael Fassbender as the lead, Entering Hades is set to be the film version of the story of Jack Unterweger, an Australian journalist and minor celebrity who shocked the country when it emerged that he'd killed up to 11 prostitutes across several different continents.
Suspect will cover Chillenden murders which occurred in 1996 when mum Lin Russell and her daughter Megan were murdered with a hammer in a bungled robbery attempt. Megan's younger sister Josie was also attacked but survived. Michael Stone has been in prison for the crime since but maintains his innocence.
Suspect is set to examine the evidence and take a look at whether he is indeed the right man.
6. JonBenet Ramsey
A huge sensation in the US, the murder of six-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey has never been solved. Although plenty of fingers have been pointed.
This upcoming series on the murder and the subsequent investigation is set to air later this year.
7. Law & Order: True Crime – The Menendez Brothers Murders
The one everyone in America is talking about at the moment. Based on the murders committed by the handsome and wealthy Mendendez brothers, Law & Order: True Crime is set to be scripted like OJ Simpson: American Crime Story. In 1989 Lyle and Erik, 18 and 21, killed their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion. They are currently serving life without parole.
This article was originally published on The Debrief.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019