Congratulations to Toni Street and her husband Matt France, whose much longed-for baby boy was born early last night via their surrogate Sophie Braggins.
The baby, who they have named Lachlan Stephen France after Toni's late brother, was born at North Shore hospital in Auckland.
"Little man has arrived early!" Toni posted to Instagram. "Sophie Braggins was an absolute trooper.. we adore our new son."
Toni's husband Matt was also full of praise for Sophie. "This little man will be so loved!" he wrote. "Surrounded by amazing women! So proud of his mum and so grateful for this gift from our amazing friend."
Sophie posted an image to Instagram of Toni holding her new son for the first time. "The happiness is real," she captioned the image.
Toni spoke to her The Hits radio co-hosts Sarah Gandy and Sam Wallace this morning, where she revealed the new baby's name.
"It was just like having both my other two children, it was this pure love moment," Toni said about when she met her son for the first time, "We're all doing amazing, it couldn't have gone any better."
"When he came out we had two names we'd narrowed it down to. We decided he definitely wasn't a Noah ... and we both looked at him and decided he's definitely a Lachie!"
Toni and Matt are already parents to two daughters, five-year-old Juliette and three-year-old Mackenzie.
Their journey to third-time parenthood has been well documented. Unable to carry another child due to health reasons, Toni's best friend of 23 years, Sophie Braggins, offered to be a surrogate for the pair.
"I'd always assumed I'd have three or four children," Toni told NEXT magazine earlier this year. "I was naïve I guess, but I didn't have any reason to think it wouldn't work out like that."
In 2015 Toni was diagnosed with the extremely rare auto-immune condition Churg-Strauss syndrome. Facing the prospect of having to undergo chemotherapy, which would potentially leave her infertile, Toni underwent IVF treatment to preserve her healthy eggs.
But when she found out the risks of her having another child were too great, she was forced to give up on her dream of having a third child. That's when Sophie stepped in, offering to carry the baby for them.
"The way I see it, carrying Toni's baby is actually just a very simple way for me to help. It wasn't a hard decision at all," Sophie said.
Toni is eternally grateful for Sophie's incredible gift. "I've tied myself up in knots over how to ever repay her, but I've come to accept it's not possible. There's no greater gift than life, is there? All I know is I'll be forever grateful."
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesToday 2:45pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerJennifer Ward Lealand on being honoured for her commitment to her two great loves, theatre and te reo
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:27am
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveYesterday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- BodyBiggest Loser's Jillian Michaels’ top 15 health habits are remarkably simple to adopt too
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- TVDWTS' Laura Daniel spills on her relationship with partner Joseph Moore and their plans to adopt
Woman's DayYesterday 9:21am
- RoyalsPrince Harry shares an adorable new photo of Baby Archie in celebration of Father’s Day
Now To LoveYesterday 8:15am
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesJun 16, 2019
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayJun 16, 2019