Claudia Conaglen made a name for herself on The Bachelor NZ after failing to win Jordan Mauger's heart, so it was only fitting that when she finally went into labour at almost 42 weeks with her first child, she was sitting on the couch watching an episode of The Bachelor Australia!
But little did the social media influencer know at the time that her 32-hour labour and emergency Caesarean would be more dramatic than an episode of the hit reality show she starred on.
"The first few weeks have been hard. I could barely lift my girl because I was in so much pain from the surgery," says Claudia, 32, as she cradles baby Tahira in her Hawke's Bay home. "But I'm just so happy she's here and alive."
Claudia started the early stages of labour on August 31, but she had an agonising 24 hours of waiting before she was far enough along to go to the hospital.
"I've never broken a bone or anything my whole life," she tells. "So my body was in so much shock from the pain and I'd started vomiting uncontrollably the next day."
Her husband Paul "Bluey" Ejamme, 29, decided to take her to the hospital but when she arrived, she was still only 5cm dilated.
"I really wanted a natural birth, but at that point, I was like, 'I need an epidural!'" she recalls.
When it finally came time to push seven hours later, Claudia was still struggling.
"A new doctor came in and he realised the baby had passed meconium, meaning she was now breathing in her own poop, and we needed to do a C-section," she explains.
Next minute, Claudia was rushed into theatre with a swarm of medical staff around her. The moment the baby was out, she was rushed into the corner and put on oxygen.
During the C-section, the doctor also discovered that Tahira had turned into the posterior position because of the stress and Claudia never would have been able to deliver her naturally.
"If we had waited another 20 minutes, she wouldn't have made it," Claudia shudders. "I'm just so glad and grateful that she's here today."
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Married at First SightIs MAFS' Mike Gunner running his own fan page? The signs are compelling!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019
- BodyWhat it's like one year on from weight-loss surgery
Now To LoveFeb 12, 2019