Newshub presenter Sam Hayes has announced she is expecting a baby. She has shared the happy news on social media, saying, "Super excited to finally break the news that Jay & I are having a baby! We've been keeping it under wraps but the bump has now well and truly popped."
The Jay that Sam is referring to is Jeroen "Jay" Blaauw, Sam's new boyfriend. Sam, 35, has introduced him to readers in this week's issue of Woman's Day.
The couple met four years ago when Sam was travelling in Brazil.
"I was making a cup of tea in the kitchen at a hostel in Sao Paulo and in came Jay," she tells Woman's Day. "We were just friends back then, but we travelled around a little bit together and he even tried to make me climb a mountain too!"
In January the pair, who have stayed in touch on Facebook over the years, spent two weeks together in the Andes climbing the formidable Mount Aconcagua, although at the time Sam kept Jay firmly out of the limelight.
Her mountain adventure made national headlines when she was forced to turn back on the final day of the ascent.
And we now know she made that decision with Jay by her side.
The 2018 Dancing With The Stars winner, who is due in Spring, said at the time, "Well, I didn't make it to the 6962m summit of Mt Aconcagua and I'm still coming to terms with that, but I did get to 6700m before the altitude and cold got the better of me.
"I saw members of my group with the first stages of frostbite on their faces and hands and a determination to get up the mountain which was breath-taking. In the end, I was shaking and spent, breathing so hard I was hyperventilating."
Only one member of the couple's tramping group made it all the way to the top.
Jay has moved from his native Amsterdam to Auckland to be with Sam.
In March last year Sam announced her split from paleoclimate geologist beau Jacob Anderson. The pair first met in 2014 and began dating in 2017.
Sam has also been previously linked with Rhythm and Vines promoter Hamish Pinkham, former boyfriend of Kimberley Crossman, and social media guru Tommy Bates.
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019