Green MP Julie Anne Genter and her partner Peter Nunns have welcomed a whopping baby boy into the world. In an Instagram post late last night, Genter announced:
"We're overjoyed to announce the safe arrival of our son at 18.03 this evening, weighing almost 4.3kg.
"We waited a very long time for labour to start, but when it did it was short and sharp. We are so grateful for the lovely staff at Auckland Hospital who provided wonderful care, for the incredibly experienced independent midwife who supported us the whole way, and for our amazing friends and family. All of you have been so generous!"
The Minister for Women wowed the world by cycling to Auckland Hospital on Sunday to be induced. She was 42 weeks pregnant.
Green Party co-leader James Shaw quipped that in cycling there Genter was very "on brand".
In a previous interview with the NZ Woman's Weekly Genter shared that she suffered two heartbreaking miscarriages before becoming pregnant with her little boy.
"I've been really focused on my career so, until recently, having a child hadn't been a big priority for me.
"But then I met Peter four years ago and we were so in love, it felt like the time was right.
"I never expected we'd have any problem getting pregnant – in fact, I didn't. But I lost the pregnancy very early on. And then the next one at eight weeks. We tried for another year after that, but nothing happened.
"I'm quite a rational person and thought I could tell myself it simply wasn't meant to be, but I was surprised at how intensely powerful my emotions were around the pregnancies and miscarriages. It affected me profoundly. It was upsetting and very sad for both of us."
Genter is the second NZ politician to have a baby this year, with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern giving birth to Neve Te Aroha Ardern Gayford on 21 June.
Genter intends taking three months' maternity leave.
Congratulations to the happy little family!
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- TVWhat drove these celebs to sign up for Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayToday 12:35pm
- Pregnancy & BirthWhy model Ashley Graham's baby bump photo has got everyone talking
Now To LoveToday 12:07pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine honours this lucky nine-year-old to celebrate World Photography Day
Now To LoveToday 11:15am
- CareerI loved him like a son: Phil Kingsley Jones remembers Jonah Lomu in his final years
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:29am
- TVMatty McLean says he's lived some of his proudest moments on Celebrity Treasure Island
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:09am
- TVThe redemption of former All Black Zac Guildford on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 8:45pm
- TVKarl Burnett quits Celebrity Treasure Island as mental health suffers
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30pm
- Married at First SightMAFS' Cyrell Paule is expecting a baby with Love Island's Eden Dally
Now To LoveYesterday 1:21pm
- Pregnancy & BirthAll the gorgeous details from Samantha Hayes’ 'beautiful' baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- TVFour curious things we've learned about the stars on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:42am
- TVThe first trailer for Married at First Sight NZ has been released and it's utter chaos
Now To LoveYesterday 9:48am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan and Prince Harry jet off on another family holiday to the south of France
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- FamilyWhy Karl Burnett is hoping to be voted off Celebrity Treasure Island
Woman's DayYesterday 8:30am