A young Kiwi mum’s decision to post a photo of herself breastfeeding has received a huge amount of support, and is now making headlines worldwide.
Jacinta Moana, 18, shared the photo to Facebook last Tuesday along with the message: “Honestly mommy’s have no shame if you’re babies are hungry feed them don’t worry about what other a-------s think because I wouldn't leave my babies starve that’s for sure.” (sic)
The post has been liked more than 1800 times, and has had close to 500 shares.
In an interview with the Daily Mail, the Waikato mother of two five-month-old boys says most people have responded well to the post.
"Most of the comments have been positive and kind, Moana said.
When asked to explain her decision to feed her baby in public, Moana said one of twins had become unsettled while the family was out shopping.
“I didn’t want him to be screaming and kicking around so I decided to feed him in public.
“I wasn’t going to let him starve and I didn’t really care what people thought."
It’s understood Moana was shopping in the supermarket for around two hours, but only breastfed her child for about half an hour.
She says her decision share the photo was to help get the message to new mothers who might be struggling with a similar situation.
“I wanted to tell mothers out there to have the confidence to do anything.”
- TVHow winning The Block has changed Tim and Arty's lives forever
Woman's DayNov 25, 2021
- At homeBring summer into your home with this colour pallette
Now To LoveNov 25, 2021
- RoyalsAre Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank planning baby number two already?
Woman's DayNov 23, 2021
- RoyalsThe Queen’s special appearance for two of her great-grandsons after weeks of health concerns
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 23, 2021
- Royals"She's alright!": The Queen makes her first in-person appearance since October hospital scare
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 18, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKim Crossman's hidden heartache and why being a mum will have to wait
Woman's DayNov 18, 2021
- Food & DrinksEnjoy the taste of Provence with these refreshing rosé wines
The Australian Women's WeeklyNov 17, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi mum Rachel reveals how her premature son changed her life
Woman's DayNov 17, 2021
- RoyalsBuckingham Palace confirms the Queen will attend the annual Remembrance Day Service
Now To LoveNov 12, 2021