Shelby Eckard, known as PCOS Support Girl to her 55,000 Instagram followers, began to cry when she received a text message showing a photo of a friend’s ultrasound.
Though she now has two beautiful children, Shelby was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome following the birth of her first son, meaning the journey to have another child was far from easy.
Eckard has since been told she has secondary infertility, which is why her friend’s picture hit so close to home.
When her eldest son walked into see his mother upset, he asked why she was crying before spotting the picture on her screen. Too early for the “where do babies come from” talk, she simply told him that the blurry image showed a baby.
"But momma - I don't understand. Why are you crying? Babies are awesome," he replied, according to Shelby’s lengthy Instagram post.
It was a question she wasn’t quite sure how to answer.
“How do you explain to a seven-year-old the emotions and challenges of infertility?” she tells.
“I mustered up my strong mom voice and told him, ‘yes, babies ARE awesome. They make hearts happy and homes feel full and are the greatest present a person can ever get.
“Having a child is like looking forward to a birthday. You know the time for it is coming. And for some reason, for some, those 'baby days' don't come when they're supposed to. Or ever’,” she says.
Later that day, Shelby couldn’t find her son. She eventually tracked him down where he sat on the floor, surrounded by crayons.
When she asked what he was doing, he replied: "I want those ladies to be happy, too. I want them to get their presents. I can't give them a baby. And I thought maybe they can borrow my sister for a little, but I can't drive and I'd miss her.
“So I am drawing them pictures as presents. Maybe you can send them to them for me? When they're sad? I don't want them to give up. I want them to be happy."
She finishes her post on a note of pride. “There's moments when I think I'm failing as a momma, but these moments? I know I'm not doing so bad.”
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019