Dame Valerie Adams has revealed the heartache she went through to conceive her gorgeous daughter Kimoana Josephine.
The sporting legend and her husband Gabriel Price began trying for a baby almost immediately after the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, but nothing happened as planned.
Following an unsuccessful course of fertility-enhancing tablets from a specialist, the frustrated pair opted for in-vitro fertilisation, however, the pregnancy didn’t take, leaving Valerie distraught.
“It was horrible – the worst experience ever,” she tells us. “My heart was broken. All we could do was cry.”
At this point, Valerie had an MRI scan, which revealed she suffers from endometriosis, so a different course of treatment was prescribed. This time, the IVF was successful.
“I took about eight pregnancy tests and they were all positive,” recalls the athlete. “I just loved seeing the double lines over and over again.”
IVF was an easy decision for Valerie and Gabriel, who are both of Tongan descent, but they acknowledge it can be a taboo topic in Pacific Island communities.
She says, “My feeling is, it’s still my egg and Gabe’s sperm, and looking at Kimoana now, how could you argue it was anything but a blessing? It’s a bizarre subject, but I’m all for opening up if it helps our people.”
For the full story, see this week’s bumper Christmas issue of Woman’s Day.
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi welcome their first child, a baby girl
Now To LoveSep 21, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island's Tegan Yorwarth's message to internet trolls
Woman's DaySep 20, 2021
- TVBlack Ferns star Huriana Manuel's Olympic heartbreak
Woman's DaySep 15, 2021
- TVProud Dad Art Green: 'My little girl is just so special'
Woman's DaySep 13, 2021
- Celebrity NewsAngela Bloomfield's tears and fears: 'I haven't given up on love!'
Woman's DaySep 07, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJoe Naufahu's heartbreak: 'I'm doing this for Mum'
Woman's DaySep 06, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi parents nightmare: 'Our son should still be here'
Woman's DaySep 03, 2021
- Real LifeKiwi Paralympic kayaker Corbin Hart's unstoppable romance
Woman's DayAug 28, 2021
- TVCelebrity Treasure Island hosts Bree Tomasel and Matt Chisholm's special bond
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021
- Real LifeTVNZ reporter Michelle Prendiville opens up about her alopecia
Woman's DayAug 27, 2021