Dame Valerie Adams has revealed the heartache she went through to conceive her gorgeous daughter Kimoana Josephine.
The sporting legend and her husband Gabriel Price began trying for a baby almost immediately after the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, but nothing happened as planned.
Following an unsuccessful course of fertility-enhancing tablets from a specialist, the frustrated pair opted for in-vitro fertilisation, however, the pregnancy didn’t take, leaving Valerie distraught.
“It was horrible – the worst experience ever,” she tells us. “My heart was broken. All we could do was cry.”
At this point, Valerie had an MRI scan, which revealed she suffers from endometriosis, so a different course of treatment was prescribed. This time, the IVF was successful.
“I took about eight pregnancy tests and they were all positive,” recalls the athlete. “I just loved seeing the double lines over and over again.”
IVF was an easy decision for Valerie and Gabriel, who are both of Tongan descent, but they acknowledge it can be a taboo topic in Pacific Island communities.
She says, “My feeling is, it’s still my egg and Gabe’s sperm, and looking at Kimoana now, how could you argue it was anything but a blessing? It’s a bizarre subject, but I’m all for opening up if it helps our people.”
For the full story, see this week’s bumper Christmas issue of Woman’s Day.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019