Former Edge radio host Jay-Jay Harvey has tearfully recounted her and husband Dominic Harvey's 8 year battle to have a child.
Harvey spoke about her experience on Wednesday night's episode of The Project. To coincide with Fertility Week, the show has been highlighting fertility issues all week and has encouraged people to share stories about their difficulties trying to conceive.
Jay-Jay, who split with her husband Dom last year, candidly revealed the heartbreaking struggle the pair faced, and the toll it took on their relationship.
"My husband Dom and I have actually had five unsuccessful rounds of IVF and four failed attempts at artificial insemination with donor sperm" she began.
"Everyone tells you it's a roller coaster," the 43-year-old explained as she welled up. "And there is no better way to describe it, because we rode it for 8 years with so many high hopes, and glimmers of hope, and then ultimately disappointment."
"And...that wore us both down. It brought on my depression. It...created cracks in our relationship. So we couldn't do it any longer and we eventually gave up."
As she apologised for crying, host Jesse Mulligan wiped away a tear.
Jay-Jay went on to explain the affect it has had on her former husband. Dom has a condition called retrograde ejaculation, which was the cause of their infertility.
"Dom wants more than anything to be a father. To...feel that total unconditional love that you can only feel when you have your own child."
"It's absolutely broken his heart that he hasn't been able to experience that. And I...feel completely sad that I could not help him achieve that either."
Jay-Jay quit her job on the Edge in November last year after 23 years at the radio station. She was announced last month as the next More FM drive show host alongside Jason Gunn.
Her 18 year relationship with Dom had come to an end in mid 2017, however she's remaining open to a reconciliation.
"I'm not divorced," Jay-Jay told Woman's Day last month. "I might get the old itch back in a year or so. I'm not closing the door on it."
- MindHilary Barry's perfect clap back at a viewer: ‘Enough with the age-shaming’
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- Diet & NutritionDiet and ‘detox’ teas have been pulled from New Zealand shelves
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RelationshipsMatty McLean reveals what partner Ryan calls him… and it’s not what you'd think!
Now To LoveYesterday 1:26pm
- RoyalsPrince Charles met Greta Thunberg and revealed why he doesn't want to disappoint his grandchildren
Now To LoveYesterday 12:55pm
- CareerNigella Lawson's new direction at 60: 'I feel so much more open to anything and everything'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:38am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine speaks out about the isolation she felt when Prince George was a baby
Now To LoveYesterday 9:18am
- WeddingsIt's love-all for tennis star Michael Venus as he marries the mother of his child
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveJan 22, 2020
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayJan 22, 2020
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveJan 21, 2020