Tips for couples
- Agree on a level of communication about fertility which suits you as a couple – often one person wants to discuss the journey more than the other.
- Strike the right balance for you - somewhere between only discussing fertility, and ignoring it completely. For example, there may be an agreed time set aside without distractions such as phones, TV, for these discussions.
- Enjoy intimacy and sex in your relationship that is not focussed on conceiving, i.e. not just during the fertile time of the month.
- Although women bear much of the load of fertility treatment, the support role is crucial and people can support their partner by attending appointments with them. They can also take a proactive role in learning about such things as their diagnoses, treatment and fertility health, asking questions, and being together when getting results.
- Both partners are responsible for optimising their fertility by living a healthy, balanced lifestyle while trying to conceive. Also, encourage each other to take time out for self- care activities such as a walk, massage, reading a book, sports, hobbies.
- If you are embarking on single parenthood, you will have one or two support people who are closely involved in your journey. Let them know what you need – i.e. what feels supportive, and what doesn't.
- You may like to acknowledge their support and what it means to you. This may be at certain times such as Christmas or beginning a treatment cycle.
- Even if you are embarking on this journey with a partner, it may be helpful to have someone outside your relationship whom you can trust to share your emotions with and supplement the support from your partner.
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 11:00am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Married at First SightIs MAFS' Mike Gunner running his own fan page? The signs are compelling!
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019
- BodyWhat it's like one year on from weight-loss surgery
Now To LoveFeb 12, 2019