It's official! Putting up your Christmas decorations early makes you happier.
In news that won't surprise those of you who already have your tree up, experts say there can be a psychological benefit in getting the tinsel out weeks before most other people do.
"In a world full of stress and anxiety people like to associate to things that make them happy and Christmas decorations evoke those strong feelings of the childhood,” psychoanalyst Steve McKeown, the owner of the McKeown Clinic, told Unilad.
“Decorations are simply an anchor or pathway to those old childhood magical emotions of excitement. So putting up those Christmas decorations early extends the excitement."
Psychotherapist Amy Morin, best-selling author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do, also notes that for people who associate Christmas time with a loved one they have lost, decorating can make them feel more connected to that person.
“The holiday season stirs up a sense of nostalgia. Nostalgia helps link people to their personal past and it helps people understand their identity. For many putting up Christmas decorations early is a way for them to reconnect with their childhoods.”
Here in New Zealand, everyone from Kiwi Olympic rower Eric Murray to TVNZ's Matty McLean are fans of getting the decorations up early.
Scroll down to see pics of Christmas coming early!
- FamilySamantha Hayes' baby Marlow joins her on the newsdesk and all we can say is awww!
Now To LoveToday 6:40pm
- RoyalsThe Sun's executive editor Kiwi Dan Wootton on his royal scoops and tabloid career
Now To LoveToday 2:45pm
- BodyWhy we should all be exercising our pelvic floor muscles every day
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 10:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry asks to simply be called ‘Harry’ during his first engagement since moving to Canada
Now To LoveYesterday 11:50am
- RoyalsThere has been a coronavirus scare at Prince George and Princess Charlotte’s school in London
Now To LoveYesterday 10:05am
- WeddingsHappily ever after: Meet the Kiwi bride who has married herself
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:21am
- FamilyShe was my escape: Taylor Swift's heartbreak over her mum's health scare
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:09am
- WeddingsRebekah Palmer's dreamy summer wedding was a day full of surprises
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am