According to parenting site Mamamia, there’s a new trend emerging amongst grandparents – who no longer want to be dubbed grandma, grandpa or other “ageing” terms.
That means Granny, Pops, Gramps and Grandpop are all out of fashion in favour of having little ones call them their elders by their first name, or by a more hip term like Gogi, Glam-ma, GeeMa, or Glammy.
Linn Wellford, author of The New Grandparents Name Book said that many grandparents these days feel too young to be called “stodgy” names like Grandma and Grandpa.
“Most of my Boomer generation friends see themselves as youthful, so they are picking names that reflect that; Pop-pop, G-Ma, Nona, Bubba," she explained.
This trend is already alive and well in Hollywood circles, where celebs such as Goldie Hawn are opting for names like “glam-ma” instead of grandma.
And Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump apparently refuses to be dubbed grandpa, insisting his grandkids call him by his first name.
One Kiwi we spoke to reported that their grandma insists on being called NiNi, as her real name is Janine, and by default her partner has become GiGi.
But many parents understandably think the whole thing is “ridiculous,” and say they will let their kids decide what to call their grandparents.
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals one of Prince Louis’ surprising first words
Now To LoveToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsPrincess Beatrice’s sweet text to Ellie Goulding about their friendship was revealed on TV
Now To LoveToday 10:40am
- FamilyParaplegic dad's joy: The newborn son we never thought we'd have
Woman's DayToday 9:45am
- CareerHow footwear designer Kathryn Wilson uses her Samsung Galaxy Note10+ for work and play
Now To LoveToday 9:42am
- CompetitionsWin a gum health prize pack with Oral B and NZ Woman’s Weekly!
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- RelationshipsJay-Jay Feeney's hot new romance: 'Meet my toyboy lover'
Woman's DayToday 8:10am
- MindWhy procrastination can be more harmful than we think - and what we can do about it
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- RelationshipsWho was Lezlie Manukian? The Californian girl who swindled a Kiwi family out of their life savings
Now To LoveYesterday 10:00am
- FamilyChristmas with the stars: How Laura McGoldrick will be spending the holidays
Woman's DayYesterday 7:55am
- PetsCaring for elderly pets (the trick is to think of them as furry grandparents)
Now To LoveDec 13, 2019
- SkincareThe surprising benefits of caffeine for your skin and body
Now To LoveDec 13, 2019
- BodyPerimenopause: the 'change before the change' explained
The Australian Women's WeeklyDec 13, 2019