In a beautiful photo essay published to her Instagram account, mother Niki Boon documents her four “wild and free” children, as they grow up unaffected by sitting in front of a TV screen.
The breath-taking shots show Niki’s kids playing on New Zealand’s beaches, in streams and mud pools, swinging from trees and handling animals.
Speaking to ABC News about her decision to raise her brood without the distractions of modern media, Niki said they simply don’t know anything different.
"We haven't had TV since the eldest was an infant. So they don't know what life is like with a TV and likewise with electronic devices."
Niki’s kids Arwen, 6, Anton, 8, Rebecca, 11, and Kurt, 12, all enjoy their outdoorsy life in Marlborough, where the family own a 10 acre property.
"If we need to find information out, we use books and other tangible resources, and a lot of their learning is done hands-on in their environment," she said.
However, Niki isn’t totally hard line about things, and admits her house does contain a computer and some appliances.
“Electronics are in their lives by default, living in the world we have these days, but we encourage our children to turn their natural curiosities to the riches of tangibles like books, the outdoors, nature and our immediate environment as a whole."
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019