Surrogacy certainly wasn't something I ever thought I would do, but Toni needed help and I knew I could do it. I'm quite a determined person, so I just put my mind to it, and it's turned out to be the most rewarding and beautiful experience for both our families.
I viewed the situation as me looking after their son for them and helping him grow. I wouldn't say that I bonded with him, but I talked to him, nurtured him and loved him just like I did with my own babies.
As the day got closer, I was really excited and also a little nervous. It all happened really fast in the end, but I felt a sense of calm. We were all so ready for him.
The only thing I needed to accept was that my husband wasn't going to make it to Auckland in time for the surgery. But the team in the operating theatre was pretty incredible, and although it was an intense, uncomfortable and scary experience, I had my amazing friends right beside me as support.
I honestly can't articulate how it felt in those hours after Lachie was born. I felt an overwhelming sense of happiness, loneliness and relief. Having him out safe, healthy and snuggled with his mummy was the most incredible moment, and all that really mattered.
I could tell that Toni was emotionally torn – she is the sort of person who needs to make sure that everyone around her is OK. And there were a few hard moments, like waking in the night in a maternity ward with babies crying and pain from the Caesarean, but no baby.
I tell myself I'm fairly thick-skinned, but there have definitely been tears.
There have been moments where I've felt a sense of missing the wee boy in my tummy, but as I recover physically and emotionally, it's just an incredible feeling of accomplishment at what we have created together. I feel great relief that Lachie is where he is meant to be and that I'm free of responsibility.
Mike, my mum and the kids have been the perfect comfort and support. Everyone has had cuddles with Lachie, and Bella asks for photos, FaceTime and updates from Toni every day. He's definitely a part of our family and I adore him. I stare at photos of him just a little too long.
He's beautiful because of everything that he represents to all of us – a boy who completes their family and the outcome of a journey that we all went through together.
Surrogacy is certainly not an easy option and it's most definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But if people are educated on the process and their hearts are truly in it, then it's the most beautiful experience.
I feel proud that I was able to help, that we all had the courage to start the process and that we made it happen. Toni and Matt don't need to thank me – I don't need anything but our friendship.
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019