A mum’s brutally honest post about married life after children has gone viral.
In a blog post entitled Husband. Wife. Roomates?, Mel Watts reflects on how her marriage has changed since welcoming her children into the world.
“The other night I lay there crying,” she wrote. “He was snoring his busy week away and I was wide awake thinking of all the things we used to be.
“The long date nights have gone. The sleep-ins are non-existent. The surprise weekends away, we can no longer afford them.
“The late nights are now laying there silently with our backs to each other hoping the other one will get up for the crying baby.
“The text messages that used to be about how much I love you are now more likely to read: ‘Babes got my period, get pads - wings. And whatever you and the kids want for dinner. Can’t cook dying'.”
But while these changes sometimes bring her to tears, Mel insists the romance isn’t completely dead in her marriage.
“Things have changed. Have they changed for the worse? No. I don't think so. I am still very much in love with my husband. It’s just a different kind of relationship now.
“Is the romance dead? No. It’s very much alive but it also has another three humans involved it's not as easy anymore.
“Nothing is going to be easy forever. Nothing is going to stay the same. And that’s okay. It’s about becoming together and staying together during the good, the ugly and the children.”
Watch: Adele has some choice words for her critics
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019