Family outings are fun, chaotic, adored by children and more often than not - expensive. But it doesn’t have to be this way every time.
Take it from me, nothing says ‘rock’n’roll’ like letting your kids loose at the local farmers market to choose whatever type of lettuce they want.
Oakleaf, Great Lakes, Romaine, Tom Thumb - you’d be amazed at the number of varieties out there.
Maybe you wouldn’t or more likely, don’t care. But, hear me out, there’s money to be saved, entertainment to be had and children to be occupied by living life in the, ahem, ‘fast lane’.
You see, up until a certain point kids can be convinced that a trip to the veggie market is considered living it up, so strike while the going’s good.
Brace yourself and take a trip on some public transport a mere few kilometres up the road, small people in tow.
Just be prepared to listen to a description of every single object driven past in a very highly pitched excited voice.
Meanwhile, commuters will shove their earphones in further; determinedly stare into their laps while sliding a bag onto the seat beside them to ensure they don’t end up with a small tour guide to share the ride with.
As long as there are no bird phobias in the family (there may well be afterwards) head to the local duck pond.
Kill two birds with one stone - get rid of those stale crusts the kids won’t eat and teach them about the local wildlife. As long as the stone doesn’t become a literal weapon to combat a towering black swan.
Our most recent hit was collecting Pipis together at the beach, cooking them up and eating them for dinner.
There’s nothing like some family bonding time over a bowl of hot molluscs dipped in white vinegar.
This kind of entertainment is lapped up by young kids, but get them started young - before you know it they’ll catch on to the frugality behind your family excursions and could be the ones sitting at the back of the bus without you.
I’ll let you in on little known lettuce fact – there’s a variety called Roger’- now you can’t tell me he’s not living life in the fast lane.
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019