The world of superheroes tends to be dominated by male characters, from Batman to Captain America - but recent research shows girls aspire to be superheroes too!
A global survey commissioned by Barbie found that eight in 10 girls agreed with the statement "I wish I could be a superhero".
What's more, in every country surveyed, nearly nine out of 10 girls in the 3-10 age range said they wished "there were more superheroes for girls".
Now, for the first time in the brand's 56-year history, Barbie is getting her own super-powered makeover in the new animated film Barbie in Princess Power - complete with mask and cape.
"The world of superheroes has largely been tailored to boys where ‘the good guys beat the bad guys," said Lori Pantel, Vice President, Global Brand Marketing for Barbie.
"But we know that girls, too, enjoy empowered heroes but seek an outcome where the perceived bad characters transform to good and friendship is the lasting result. We thought it was time they were inspired by a new superhero that is playful, has extraordinary abilities and uses her powers of forgiveness and friendship to defeat her foe – in a way that only Barbie can."
Along with Barbie in Princess Power, girls can live out their superhero dreams at www.besuper.com, where they can make their own digital comic books, share their 'super stories' and watch weekly animated episodes featuring Barbie and her friends performing super acts.
What do you think about Barbie's heroic new look?
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020
- CompetitionsWin the Ultimate Teeth Whitening Prize Pack thanks to Colgate Optic White
Woman's DayNov 23, 2020