Pink received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award at Sunday's MTV VMAs, an honour recognising her accomplishment in music.
But instead of discussing her career or thanking those who had been instrumental in her success, she decided to highlight a far more important topic…
The 37-year-old used her moment commanding the stage to discuss the time her daughter told her she felt ugly because she looks “like a boy.” Of course, her six-year-old daughter, Willow, was in attendance at the awards show -- sporting a killer three piece suit that matched her famous parents, no less.
"She said to me out of the blue, 'Mama, I'm the ugliest girl I know,' " Pink said. "And I said, 'Huh?' And she said, 'Yeah, I look like a boy with long hair.' And my brain went to, 'Oh my God, you're six. Where is this coming from? Can I kick a six-year-old's (butt)?' "
Instead of dismissing the upsetting comments as ‘a phase,' the singer-songwriter decided to create a PowerPoint presentation. The slideshow featured androgynous rock stars like David Bowie, Annie Lennox, and Prince who “live their truth, are probably made fun of every day of their life, and carry on and wave their flag.”
She also included herself in the lineup -- choosing to lead by example -- explaining that many have commented on her “masculine” appearance or “strong" body.
"I said, 'When people make fun of me, that's what they use: They say I look like a boy or I'm too masculine or I have too many opinions or that my body is too strong," Pink said. "And I said, 'Do you see me growing my hair?' And she said, 'No, mama.' 'Do you see me changing my body?' 'No, mama.' 'Do you see me changing the way I present myself to the world?' 'No, mama.' 'Do you see me selling out arenas all over the world?' 'Yes, mama.'
"So, baby girl, we don't change," she continued. "We take the gravel in the shell and we make a pearl. And we help other people to change so that they can see more kinds of beauty.”
She added: “And you, my darling girl, are beautiful. I love you."
Ooft. Would somebody please pass the tissues?
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019