They’re said to be some of the greatest stresses you can possibly put on a relationship – moving house, organising a wedding or having a child together – and it’s certainly something that TV 1 sports presenter Jenny-May Clarkson and her husband Dean can attest to: they’ve done it all in the blink of an eye!
The pair had a complete fairytale start to their relationship. After their true love-at-first-sight meeting in February 2015, Dean (42) proposed after just 11 days and then Jenny-May (43) she walked down the aisle that September, just shy of the three-month mark – carrying twins, no less!
Life has been a whirlwind since, and now with two boisterous 16-month-old boys on their hands, it’s never been busier. But the pair recently made a pact to create a better, healthier life for themselves, their twins, Atawhai and Te Manahau, plus Dean’s two girls Libby-Jane (12) and Leah (10), whom they have shared care of.
They’ve since made a move out to a more rural area of Auckland, where they’ve bought a home with Dean’s parents.
“Just as well I get on so well with the in-laws!” jokes Jenny-May.
Their new outdoor lifestyle sees them each doing a 5km walk daily, up the maunga nearby to their home. For Dean, who has lost 13kg in the last few months since the move, it’s been a life-changer, after his doctors gave him the hard work that it was essential he improve his health.
“I nearly died going up the first time,” Dean admits. “But that’s why I do it. I’ve done it every day since that Sunday. And as I go up I remind myself that’s what it’s for.”
His voice catches as he looks at Jenny-May.
“It’s to stay alive for my wife and my children. I know I have to keep doing it because I want to walk up there one day with them when they’re older.”
Jenny-May and Dean appear in this week’s issue of New Zealand Woman’s Weekly where they speak candidly about the stresses on their marriage, and all about their energetic two young boys. See all the gorgeous photos in this week’s issue, on sale now.
- RoyalsWhen and where will Baby Archie’s christening take place? Here are all the details
Now To LoveToday 4:45pm
- TVThe moving reason behind Dancing With The Stars winner Manu Vatuvei's vow to keep dancing
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- TVFormer DWTS dancer Carol-Ann Hanna gives her verdict on the final show and Manu's win
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionHow this Auckland woman lost 30kg through hypnosis
Woman's DayToday 8:00am
- FertilityConsidering freezing your eggs? Here's everything you need to know
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilySamantha Hayes shares her heartache after visiting a refugee camp in Jordan
- BodyRotorua parents' heartbreak: only a miracle will save their little boy
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerJulie Anne Genter on bicycles, babies and what's going to make a better world
The Australian Women's WeeklyJun 15, 2019
- Married at First SightMAFS' Mick Gould has posed naked in the name of rural mental health
Now To LoveJun 14, 2019