He may know how to make magic in the kitchen, but not even Jamie Oliver can get his five kids to eat their meals without someone complaining.
“I’d say about three times out of 10 it’s really pleasant,” Jamie, 42, tells TV WEEK. “But seven times out of 10, someone’s kicking off. It’s carnage.
“Look, cooking for kids is utter psychological warfare and this thing called perfection doesn’t really exist!”
When he’s not busy in the kitchen, Jamie is helping his wife, Jools, raise their children: Poppy, 15, Daisy, 14, Petal, eight, Buddy, six, and 10-month-old River.
When it comes to the dinner table, Jamie reveals the couple rely on “code and eye language”. He says they also use plenty of trusty tricks to control tantrums, such as hiding vegies in food. But one thing they never do is cook the kids separate meals.
“If you get into that pattern, you’ll end up doing it for a long time,” he warns.
And it turns out, mealtime isn’t the only thing Jamie dreads. The thought of his eldest daughter having a boyfriend makes him sick to the stomach.
“It’s going to happen any minute now,” he groans. “Poppy is 15… the poor girl probably just wants a boyfriend. I’m a little bit nervous about it.”
The other person who should probably be nervous in that equation is the as yet unknown boyfriend.
“I mean, if she brings a d*head back, I’m going to end up saying the wrong thing. I’ll end up sharpening a knife,” he chuckles.
- BodyOlivia Newton-John is battling cancer for the third time - why she's not letting it get her down
Good Health ChoicesToday 11:00am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveToday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveYesterday 2:00pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 11:35am
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsPrince Harry spent Valentine's Day next to a shrine dedicated to himself and Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Matthew Bennett insists losing his virginity to Lauren hasn't changed him
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine looks gorgeous in Gucci as she attends the 100 Women in Finance Gala
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- RelationshipsArt Green and Matilda Rice's family plans: they are so clucky!
Woman's DayFeb 14, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to Ports of Auckland Round the Bays plus a Samsung S9
Now To LoveFeb 14, 2019
- Celebrity NewsCold Feet's Hermione Norris lists all the reasons why she'd love to live in New Zealand
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 14, 2019
- WeddingsShortland St star Beluah Koale marries his soulmate in a day of 'pure joy'
Woman's DayFeb 13, 2019