He may know how to make magic in the kitchen, but not even Jamie Oliver can get his five kids to eat their meals without someone complaining.
“I’d say about three times out of 10 it’s really pleasant,” Jamie, 42, tells TV WEEK. “But seven times out of 10, someone’s kicking off. It’s carnage.
“Look, cooking for kids is utter psychological warfare and this thing called perfection doesn’t really exist!”
When he’s not busy in the kitchen, Jamie is helping his wife, Jools, raise their children: Poppy, 15, Daisy, 14, Petal, eight, Buddy, six, and 10-month-old River.
When it comes to the dinner table, Jamie reveals the couple rely on “code and eye language”. He says they also use plenty of trusty tricks to control tantrums, such as hiding vegies in food. But one thing they never do is cook the kids separate meals.
“If you get into that pattern, you’ll end up doing it for a long time,” he warns.
And it turns out, mealtime isn’t the only thing Jamie dreads. The thought of his eldest daughter having a boyfriend makes him sick to the stomach.
“It’s going to happen any minute now,” he groans. “Poppy is 15… the poor girl probably just wants a boyfriend. I’m a little bit nervous about it.”
The other person who should probably be nervous in that equation is the as yet unknown boyfriend.
“I mean, if she brings a d*head back, I’m going to end up saying the wrong thing. I’ll end up sharpening a knife,” he chuckles.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021