He may know how to make magic in the kitchen, but not even Jamie Oliver can get his five kids to eat their meals without someone complaining.
“I’d say about three times out of 10 it’s really pleasant,” Jamie, 42, tells TV WEEK. “But seven times out of 10, someone’s kicking off. It’s carnage.
“Look, cooking for kids is utter psychological warfare and this thing called perfection doesn’t really exist!”
When he’s not busy in the kitchen, Jamie is helping his wife, Jools, raise their children: Poppy, 15, Daisy, 14, Petal, eight, Buddy, six, and 10-month-old River.
When it comes to the dinner table, Jamie reveals the couple rely on “code and eye language”. He says they also use plenty of trusty tricks to control tantrums, such as hiding vegies in food. But one thing they never do is cook the kids separate meals.
“If you get into that pattern, you’ll end up doing it for a long time,” he warns.
And it turns out, mealtime isn’t the only thing Jamie dreads. The thought of his eldest daughter having a boyfriend makes him sick to the stomach.
“It’s going to happen any minute now,” he groans. “Poppy is 15… the poor girl probably just wants a boyfriend. I’m a little bit nervous about it.”
The other person who should probably be nervous in that equation is the as yet unknown boyfriend.
“I mean, if she brings a d*head back, I’m going to end up saying the wrong thing. I’ll end up sharpening a knife,” he chuckles.
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine reveals Prince Louis has started talking
Now To LoveToday 9:20am
- BodyHer sister's keeper: Brave battler Eva Mitchell's unbreakable sibling bond
Woman's DayYesterday 4:40pm
- MakeupHow to find a foundation that matches your skin perfectly
Now To LoveYesterday 3:10pm
- RoyalsPrincess Diana's Travolta dress is up for auction so we're celebrating her best dresses from the 80s
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- BodyConcerning survey findings: One in three Kiwi women still don't self-check for breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine shares her family’s secret for picking the best Christmas tree
Now To LoveYesterday 11:55am
- RoyalsDid The Queen tell off Princess Anne for not greeting the Trumps? The truth behind the video revealed
Now To LoveYesterday 9:35am
- CareerChristmas horoscopes: What's in store for you this festive season
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 8:15am
- CareerTina Turner reflects on her roller coaster life and the peace that has come with retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CareerSocial media parody queen Celeste Barber on unexpected fame and where she draws the line
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin a wireless headphone prizepack thanks to JBL and The Australian Women's Weekly
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are five health foods we’re set to be eating more of in 2020
Now To LoveDec 04, 2019
- Career'I wasn't expecting that': New podcast explores tricky issues for women in 40s and 50s
Now To LoveDec 04, 2019
- FamilyNZ's smallest couple: Meet our Christmas miracle baby
Woman's DayDec 04, 2019