Christmas doesn't have to be all about eating, drinking and opening presents. For many, it's a time to take stock and remember the important people in their lives – and in particular their mums.
Because when it comes to the festive season, it's often our darling mothers who make the whole thing special for families all over New Zealand.
We asked five well-known Kiwis to remember their mums this Christmas by writing them a love letter...
Here's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's letter to her mum Laurell.
There's nothing quite like having your own child to make you rethink all of your own behaviour growing up – especially as the holidays roll around.
Thank you for never making me dress up in novelty Christmas wear. Had you forced me or my sister into reindeer antlers or elf outfits, it might have caused me to think twice about doing that to Neve. But you didn't, so Christmas costumes will just have to be one of the many things my child can hold against me.
Thank you for teaching me that it's always, always better to give than to receive. It means I have a genuine love for this time of year and also, because of your teachings on kindness and generosity, I barely flinched when as a 12-year-old I got given a set of coat hangers from Grandma.
Thank you for teaching me patience. Waiting under the tree for Dad to finish shift work before Christmas could start was torture as a little person, but worth it.
Thank you for making every Christmas special no matter what. I still remember the year the family budget was a bit tight, so you painstakingly wrapped every individual piece of stationery Louise and I needed for school and popped it under the tree, and we unwrapped them all one at a time. Christmas lasted forever that year.
But most of all, thanks for always making Christmas about the most important thing in the world, one another. I hope I can teach Neve the same thing once she forgives me for novelty Christmas outfits.
- RoyalsPrince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99
Now To LoveApr 09, 2021
- TVPopstars panel tells all: Rock regrets, secret crushes and dad jokes!
Woman's DayApr 09, 2021
- Celebrity NewsIron Mike's magic milestone: 'I'm finally in a good space!'
Woman's DayApr 07, 2021
- TVBachelorettes' show down: Our last-ditch effort to woo Moses
Woman's DayMar 30, 2021
- TVBachelor babes bare all: 'Our lives have changed forever'
Woman's DayMar 29, 2021
- Celebrity NewsSmitten but sleep-deprived! Sam Wallace and fiancée Sarah are on double duty
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMar 26, 2021
- Celebrity NewsKiwi stunt star Zoë Bell talks brain injuries and break-ups
Woman's DayMar 24, 2021
- TVThe Bachelorette NZ's Lexie and Hamish are moving in together!
Woman's DayMar 11, 2021
- TVHit single Moses: 'I didn't think I deserved love!'
Woman's DayMar 09, 2021
- TVHere are the queens competing in RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under
Now To LoveMar 07, 2021