One mother-to-be has asked the internet for advice, after her husband's mum way overstepped the mark.
A woman who calls herself 'Sad Mommy' wrote to online agony aunt Prudence, telling her that her mother in law found out the sex of her unborn grandchild, and then told all their family and friends, without her permission.
The mum states that she had a "cordial relationship" with her partner's mum, but after becoming pregnant with the family's first grandchild, things changed.
"My husband and I mutually decided that we didn't want to know the sex before birth," the woman explained.
“My mother-in-law was livid with our decision, even though I tried to placate her by using the obstetrician she suggested and allowing her to attend some of my prenatal appointments. She continued to bring up gender at every opportunity.”
The meddling mother in law then managed to wheedle the sex of the baby out of the ultrasound technician, and proceeded telling everyone - even though mum to be didn't want to know.
After threatening the clinic with legal action, changing doctor, and constructing a birth plan that excludes the mother in law from the equation, the mum to be is now asking how she can build bridges.
"How do I overcome this feeling of betrayal?" she asks.
Agony Aunt Prudence sympathises with the mum to be, but says she should count herself lucky to have a supportive husband.
"Too often, I hear about sons of such mothers who have been trained since childhood to give in to these termagants, and who find it easier even in adulthood to avoid the drama and accede to their demands."
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveToday 12:30pm
- RoyalsWhy we’re unlikely to see much of Duchess Catherine and Prince William over the coming month
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- WeddingsA wedding photographer has sparked heated debate after urging wedding guests to put away their phones
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Real LifeYoung dad's incredible feat to save his family from certain death
Woman's DayYesterday 9:30am
- CareerThe tough Kiwi women who are running organisations that were traditionally 'boys' clubs'
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:17am
- FamilyShortland Street's Laurel Devenie introduces her gorgeous new arrival to the world
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- Relationships9 common dating mistakes - and how you can avoid making them
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Sophia and Mikaere disqualified after cheating scandal
Now To LoveJul 15, 2019
- FamilyRobbie Magasiva opens up about the devastating loss of his beloved brother Pua
Woman's DayJul 15, 2019