In a world where girls are increasingly being given contradictory messages, one blogger feels it’s time we instilled the most important skill of all – how to be kind – into our girls.
During her post for Selfish Mother, Gemma Barder talks about her experience of being bullied – by young girls no less.
Documenting the too common tale of a girl gang making the life of a youngster a misery, Gemma expresses her fears for her two young daughters. Growing up 30 years later than herself, with social media and all of its terrifying opportunities for abuse, Gemma writes:
“What if this sort of thing happens to one of my girls? The horrible truth of the matter is, it might. It probably will at some point and in some form and there’s not much I can do to stop it.”
As terrifying as it may seem to protective parents, the likelihood is that children will be bullied at some stage or another, the key is to produce children who won’t be the bully themselves.
“We need to teach girls to be kind, teach girls to be inclusive, teach girls to be supportive of one another,” Gemma writes.
“Teach girls that they will have more obstacles to overcome in the future to be wasting their time on making other girls feel bad.”
“If we do this then school, work and the world will be a much nicer place and growing up might not be so hard.”
She signs off: “Big’up the future sisterhood.”
We heartily concur.
- Pregnancy & BirthBreakfast’s Hayley Holt is expecting her first child
Now To LoveToday 8:30am
- Real LifeFacing the fiery inferno: Kiwi family's frightening Aussie bushfire ordeal
Woman's DayToday 8:15am
- RoyalsPrince William reminisces about his proposal to Duchess Catherine in a speech at Buckingham Palace
Now To LoveYesterday 2:55pm
- FamilyRussell Crowe's heartwarming revelation about his sons strikes a chord with many
Now To LoveYesterday 1:23pm
- RoyalsA royal reporter reveals the job Prince Harry once dreamed of before he met Duchess Meghan
Now To LoveYesterday 11:55am
- TVLaura Daniel joins Seven Sharp team as special correspondent
Now To LoveYesterday 11:04am
- Expert AdviceKids' back-to-school worries and how you can help to ease them
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- FamilyCelebrated artist Dame Louise Henderson's lost paintings and her daughter's mission to track them down
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- CareerWhy Olivia Newton-John's damehood holds extra significance
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:50am
- TVBachelorette Lesina Nakhid-Schuster lets us in on her reasons for joining the show
Woman's DayYesterday 8:15am
- RoyalsPrince Harry reveals he felt 'there was no option' but to leave royal life
Now To LoveJan 20, 2020
- RoyalsMike and Zara Tindall open up about family life and why they consider Australia their 'second home'
The Australian Women's WeeklyJan 20, 2020
- Diet & NutritionWhich diet would work best for you according to your personality
Good Health ChoicesJan 20, 2020