All parents know the frustration of trying to get a scratchy baby back to sleep in the middle of the night. And after all of your efforts it invariably ends with you left lying wide awake while your baby happily slumbers.
It's kind of cute to know that life in the Prime Minister's house is no different, with First Baby Neve giving her dad a run for his money last night in the settling stakes.
Clarke Gayford shared this adorable tweet at 4am today:
"Ah yes of course it was the 2 finger bum tap while rocking just off 180 degrees with light on dim and white noise rolling waves on beach not waves on rocks mind you, and only if turned to the east.
"That. finally. induced. sleep," he tweeted.
"It seems so obvious now as i lay here SO AWAKE👀"
Gayford was duly rewarded for his honesty with a priceless collection of Twitter responses that offered encouragement and reassurance.
"My now Miss 9 would only sleep in the first 3 months of her life if she was on me, and I was walking in anti-clockwise circles. They need to do a Survivor: Newborn Edition. Commandos would beg to go home," tweeted #BringThemHere
"Aww bless. Good on ya daddo. Hilariously, just as you learn the trick for one thing, she'll evolve and you'll have to detect a whole new pattern. They're so mint," cautioned WestCoastRogue.
"Walking up & down stairs. I had quads like you wouldn't believe," replied fellow dad Martin Bridges.
"A wakeful baby is a sign of intelligence. .this maybe utter crap but take whatever comfort you need," encouraged Grow From Here Kaye.
Another reminded him that an upside was "2am Twitter is pretty awesome (and supportive)"
Many pointed out that once Neve was a teen he wouldn't be able to raise her before noon.
While we all know that First Man Clarke Gayford will be extra-tired today, at least he can take comfort from the fact he is not alone in those early hours.
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019