A mum from Staffordshire, England, has claimed her baby son helped to spot her breast cancer, after he consistently refused to feed from the affected breast.
Sarah Boyle, who is just 26, says that at six months, her son Teddy “became very distressed” when she tried to feed him from her right breast.
His continued aversion to the breast meant that when doctors diagnosed Sarah with a benign cyst, she insisted it be rescanned.
She is now being treated for grade two triple negative breast cancer.
Sarah said that her son had taken “fantastically well” to breastfeeding until suddenly turning against her right boob six months in.
After trying various positions over several weeks, Sarah came to the conclusion that the milk from that breast must taste different.
"He became very unhappy and even hit out. For an eight-month baby to push his mother away was really heartbreaking," she said.
Sarah was diagnosed with a benign cyst in her right breast in 2013, and when she asked for a rescan was told not to worry.
But when Teddy’s behaviour persisted, and Sarah noticed changes in her breast like the shape and rigidity, she went back to her doctor.
A further scan and biopsy confirmed cancer.
Now halfway through chemotherapy, Sarah says that while no-one can prove it was Teddy who detected her cancer, if it wasn’t for his reactions she probably wouldn’t have been so persistent with doctors.
There is no scientific proof that babies who are being fed by the breast can detect breast changes, though there are other anecdotal examples of this occurring.
This story first appeared on BBC 5Live
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019