In a new interview with US Glamour, Blake Lively spoke passionately about the way she and husband Ryan Reynolds are raising their two daughters.
In particular, the actress explained how the couple have banned one word in their vocabulary while around their daughters, James and Ines. The prohibited word is 'bossy'.
"My husband said, 'I don’t ever want to use that word again. You’ve never heard a man called bossy,"' Lively told Glamour. "There would never be any negative connotation for a man being a boss, so to add a negative connotation on a woman being bossy? It’s belittling, and it doesn’t encourage them to be a boss."
Our thoughts exactly.
The couple are also ensuring they use female pronouns when they speak to their daughters. Lively explained that, for example, if Reynolds picks up a caterpillar, he'll ask, 'What's her name?' rather than, 'What's his name?'
Promoting her new project, Her Husband's Secret (a film based on a book by the Big Little Lies author), Lively also spoke about how she wanted to bring her daughters up knowing their own strength.
"We're all born feeling perfect until somebody tells us we're not," she said. "So there's nothing I can teach my daughter [James]. She already has all of it. The only thing I can do is protect what she already feels."
This story first appeared on Grazia
- Pregnancy & BirthSamantha Hayes excitedly announces the gender of her baby
Now To LoveToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionThe truth about coconut oil: Is it actually as good for us as we've been told?
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- CareerMean Mums' Morgana O'Reilly gets candid about her school days
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 9:23am
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 12:00pm
- Pregnancy & BirthFear and panic followed by joy: The Edge's Chang Hung welcomes his much longed-for daughter
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayJul 19, 2019
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesJul 19, 2019
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019