An Australian schoolgirl has revealed she is transgender in a brave video released on YouTube.
The 11-year-old, who goes to Mowbray Height Primary School in Tasmania, told her classmates using the footage, in which she holds up message placards.
Formerly known as Ethan, Abbey Boon filmed the clip with the help of her teacher, releasing it to classmates to tell them of her struggle.
Abbey, who has previously been teased for “always hanging out with girls,” holds up her story on placards before changing into a dress as the end of the clip.
“I met a girl called Makayla and she made me feel like I didn’t have to feel different…I could just be me!
“This gave me the courage to write my story and share it,” the placards read.
Abbey’s mother, Melinda Miles, uploaded the clip to YouTube on Monday, where it has quickly gone viral.
Melinda says her daughter approached her last year to tell her she wanted to be girl. She said after the revelation there were lots of “happy tears” and that the entire family “support everything she does.”
- Body4 reasons why a visit to this hidden oasis will have you feeling summer-ready
Now To LoveToday 2:00pm
- RoyalsSarah Ferguson zooms around an airport on a motorised suitcase in a hilarious new video
Now To LoveToday 12:15pm
- RoyalsIs Duchess Catherine getting her own television show?
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- CareerKeeping Up With The Kaimanawas horse whisperer Kelly Wilson on the stallion that changed her life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:36am
- Career'You just have to be yourself': Ingrid Hipkiss on taking over from Samantha Hayes on the 6pm news
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:25am
- WeddingsZac Franich and Erin Simpson's magical wedding day
Woman's DayToday 9:15am
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan steps out in $50,000 ruby earrings by Kiwi designer Jessica McCormack
Now To LoveYesterday 12:00pm
- FamilyAt home with Matilda and Art Green: 'Baby Milo is our dream come true'
Woman's DayYesterday 10:55am
- RoyalsPlastic surgery clinic slammed for misusing Kate Middleton's face to promote face lift
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine wore this special brooch on Remembrance Sunday for a very touching reason
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CompetitionsWin a set of pearls thanks to Michael Hill Jewellers
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- RelationshipsWestside actress Jessica Grace Smith's romantic beachside proposal
Woman's DayNov 10, 2019
- MindWhy saying 'yes' to stress can actually benefit us
Good Health ChoicesNov 09, 2019
- BodyRenee Wright: Why I'm prioritising my health this summer
NEXTNov 09, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Charles shakes hands with trees after he plants them to 'wish them well'
Now To LoveNov 08, 2019