Starting school is a milestone in any child's life, and their first day is one they will never forget. It can be an emotional time, but there are lots of things parents can do to prepare their child so their child's transition into school is easier.
Many put time into making sure their child knows their ABCs and 1-2-3s, but they're not the most important things, advises new entrant teacher Daisy McGregor from Target Road School in Auckland.
"ABCs and 1-2-3s, they are important... but I consider these things they'll learn at school," she says.
What's more valuable, she says, is that children have learned skills to manage themselves (get themselves to the toilet, open their lunchbox) and get along with others.
In this video, McGregor gives advice about what your child really needs to know for their first day at school, how you can prepare them so their first day isn't frightening or overwhelming, how to help them adjust in their first few weeks and what you can do to help them enjoy school.
- RelationshipsThe incredible love story of this Kiwi soldier and his Slovenian heroine, who met through a barbed wire fence at a POW camp
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:00pm
- Diet & NutritionFibre 101: Everything you need to know about this essential dietary component
Good Health ChoicesToday 10:00am
- RoyalsWhy the Queen allowed Duchess Catherine to break protocol and kiss her in public
Now To LoveYesterday 3:18pm
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie’s latest outfit has a sweet connection to her royal wedding last year
Now To LoveYesterday 11:45am
- Real LifeA Christchurch surgeon describes what it was like to be working on the day of the mosque attacks
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 10:00am
- RoyalsSee the vibrant flower that's been named after Baby Archie
Now To LoveYesterday 9:30am
- Pregnancy & BirthNewshub's Melissa Davies is pregnant with her first child
Now To LoveYesterday 9:08am
- RoyalsDid Prince William just accidentally reveal his nickname for Princess Charlotte?
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- RoyalsAll the times Prince Louis looked just like his big brother Prince George
Now To LoveMay 23, 2019
- FamilyA foster family's heartbreak as the young man they took in as a baby develops more and more serious health problems
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyMay 23, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a 6 months’ supply of ChildLife vitamins and supplements for a healthy winter
Good Health ChoicesMay 23, 2019