Most teens can't wait to get their driver's license and sit their learner's theory test as soon as they turn 16.
Learning to drive an actual vehicle is the hard part, and AA Driving School chief driving instructor Bruce Fox suggests parents don't take their teen on those first few lessons - not because we can't be great teachers, but because our knowledge can be outdated and we may have formed bad driving habits. Ahem.
Arrange for your teen to have some professional lessons, he advises, and sit in the back seat during the lesson so you can repeat the same messaging when you take them out to practise.
IN THIS VIDEO: Fox gives advice on how parents can help their teen build their confidence on the road. He talks us through the specific driving skills that learner drivers need to have mastered to pass their driving tests - as well as what they can be failed on.
Oh, and one more thing - Fox has taught hundreds of learner drivers over the years and says ONE GENDER has proven to be BETTER at driving than the other. Watch our video to find out which.
- MoneyMoney expert Mary Holm reveals how much money you really need in the bank when you retire - and it's not as much as you think
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 12:10pm
- RoyalsFlower arranging and cute cookies: Inside Duchess Meghan's gorgeous baby shower
Now To LoveToday 10:00am
- BodyKiwi teen's bizarre diagnosis: 'You have a plant growing in your ear'
Now To LoveToday 8:20am
- RoyalsWho are all the celebrity guests at Duchess Meghan's baby shower?
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- Parenting NewsZoe Marshall urges: don't kiss other people's babies on the mouth
Now To LoveYesterday 1:31pm
- RoyalsBeyonce and JAY-Z just made a surprising tribute to Duchess Meghan in their Brit Awards acceptance speech
Now To LoveYesterday 12:05pm
- Celebrity NewsCoro Street's new bad girl - Connie Hyde reveals what it's like playing Sally's sister Gina
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:22am
- TVSir David Attenborough the legend: how he's still producing groundbreaking TV series at age 92
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- RoyalsSerena Williams joins Duchess Meghan for a night out in New York City
Now To LoveYesterday 8:30am
- Married at First SightMAFS' Elizabeth and Bronson speak out about the developing affair between Sam and Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveFeb 20, 2019