In this video Makaia Carr talks about how to have conversations with your daughter about body confidence and how to help her filter what she sees and hears on social media.
The pressure on young girls to look a certain way is immense. They are bombarded with messaging on social media and confronted from all directions with airbrushed images of female bodies that are impossible to attain.
Health and wellness influencer Makaia Carr used to be a part of that pressure, running a fitness website that motivated women to smash their exercise goals.
But after watching a documentary, Embrace, about body loathing she began to question the messaging she was putting out.
"It made me feel guilty about what messages I'd previously been sending on social media... All the 'This is what fit looks like', 'It's all about abs and working out six times a week'. I thought, 'How have I been making other women feel?
Makaia also became uncomfortable about how she might have been making her 12-year-old daughter Jana-Lee feel, especially after Jana-Lee came home from school one day to reveal that she'd been bullied about the way she looked.
Makaia has done an about turn, selling her website and instead using her voice to share positive body image messages.
In this video Makaia talks about how to have conversations with your daughter about body confidence and how to help her filter what she sees on social media.
She shares how she has conversations with Jana- Lee and gives advice on how to recognise signs that your child is being bullied.
- MindCould sound healing be the answer to enhancing your wellbeing?
Now To LoveToday 1:30pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan reveals Archie went to playgroup for the first time and ‘he loved it’
Now To LoveToday 11:00am
- Celebrity NewsJennifer Aniston finally joins Instagram and promptly breaks the internet
Now To LoveToday 10:10am
- CareerAll the highlights from the NEXT Woman Of The Year 2019 Awards
Now To LoveYesterday 3:00pm
- RoyalsSee unseen footage of Prince Harry adorably cradling Archie in the trailer of an upcoming documentary
Now To LoveYesterday 2:50pm
- BodyThe Mirena and Jaydess contraceptives are finally free for Kiwi women from November
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- FamilyThe hilarious moment Art Green had with his son that every parent will relate to
Now To LoveYesterday 10:51am
- BodyHeavyweight boxing champion Shane Cameron steps up to fight Parkinson's disease
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:35am
- MindSurviving depression: Matt Chisholm's brave decision to quit TV
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsDuchess Catherine and Prince William receive a royal welcome as they arrive in Pakistan
Now To LoveYesterday 8:15am
- CareerThe latest famous rock star to be a big fan of Jacinda Ardern
Now To LoveOct 14, 2019