- what motivates kids in sport - and what puts them off playing
- the importance of positive sideline behaviour and not pressuring kids
- why kids are better off playing a variety of sports
- and what parents can do to ensure their child is getting a fair go on the field/court/pool.
WATCH THIS VIDEO
Kids who play sport enjoy a huge range of social, mental and physical benefits.
They're getting regular exercise, gaining new skills, making friends and learning about camaraderie and teamwork - which in turn teaches them life skills such as patience, resilience and how to better manage their emotions.
Many parents believe that kids need to specialise early to excel in a sport, but they're actually better off playing a variety of codes, says Sport New Zealand's Roger Wood.
Parents also often underestimate the importance of keeping sports fun for their kids.
In this video Sport New Zealand's Roger Wood talks about:
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyApr 22, 2019