- what motivates kids in sport - and what puts them off playing
- the importance of positive sideline behaviour and not pressuring kids
- why kids are better off playing a variety of sports
- and what parents can do to ensure their child is getting a fair go on the field/court/pool.
WATCH THIS VIDEO
Kids who play sport enjoy a huge range of social, mental and physical benefits.
They're getting regular exercise, gaining new skills, making friends and learning about camaraderie and teamwork - which in turn teaches them life skills such as patience, resilience and how to better manage their emotions.
Many parents believe that kids need to specialise early to excel in a sport, but they're actually better off playing a variety of codes, says Sport New Zealand's Roger Wood.
Parents also often underestimate the importance of keeping sports fun for their kids.
In this video Sport New Zealand's Roger Wood talks about:
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020