In a nail-biting close final, Valerie led after throwing a massive 20.42m on her second attempt.
Her effort put her streets ahead of her competitors, until Carter stepped up and threw her unbeatable 20.63m.
Valerie had a chance to take back the lead but her final throw saw a landing of 20.39m.
Already a double Olympic champion, Valerie had set her sights on becoming the first woman to win three gold medals for her sport.
So far, no New Zealand athlete has claimed three consecutive Olympic gold medals.
After the final, Valerie told Sky Sports she was not too disappointed.
“I am ok – it would have been nice to win, that was the whole goal, but that’s sport,” she told Sky Sports.
"I came out here and left my heart out here and I fought to the very end and after where I was last year to now, I've done a lot of work to be here today and I'm very blessed to be here today.
"It is my third Olympic medal and I've got to take it and run."
- Family8 foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveToday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveToday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveToday 11:31am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveToday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveToday 9:00am
- CareerAnnabelle White's recipe to living a happy, contented life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:42am
- FamilyFamily meal inspiration: Jo Seagar's 'loaves and fishes' approach to family meals
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 12:00pm
- MindWhy travel memories play an important part in helping to develop our personality
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 10:00am
- TVDancing With The Stars' Manu Vatuvei's biggest fear when it comes to the dance floor
Woman's DayYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsDoting dad Ronan Keating enjoys a family day out at Auckland's waterfront
Woman's DayApr 21, 2019
- BodyMatilda Green talks motherhood, mental wellbeing and her plans for the future
Good Health ChoicesApr 21, 2019
- FitnessThese dance workouts will be so fun that you won't even feel like you're exercising
Good Health ChoicesApr 20, 2019
- RoyalsHappy birthday Her Majesty! Celebrating 93 years with Queen Elizabeth II
Now To LoveApr 20, 2019