Mother Teresa is to be declared a saint on September 4, Pope Francis has announced.
The Roman Catholic nun who worked with the poor in India founded a sisterhood that runs 19 homes, and won the Nobel Peace Prize.
She died in 1997 at age 87, and in 2003 was beatified, which is the first step to sainthood.
Born Agnese Gonxha Bojaxhiu in Macedonia, Mother Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity in 1950, which now has 4,500 nuns worldwide.
Pope Francis announced the sainthood last year after he recognised a second miracle attributed to Mother Teresa, but has only recently confirmed the date, the BBC reports.
Pope John Paul II accepted a first miracle attributed to Mother Teresa - the curing of a woman from an abdominal tumour - as authentic five years after her death, which cleared the way for her beatification in 2003.
A Vatican commission found that her recovery had been a miracle after the woman had been cured by a photo of the nun being placed on her stomach. The finding was criticised as bogus by rationalist groups in Bengal.
In December 2015, Pope Francis recognised a second miracle, which involved the healing of a Brazilian man with several brain tumours in 2008.
- TVOur broody Bachelorette: 'David Attenborough is my dream man'
Woman's DayJan 20, 2021
- Celebrity NewsJay-Jay Feeney and Paul Flynn: our perfect friendship
Woman's DayJan 08, 2021
- CompetitionsWin a double pass to our exclusive screening of Penguin Bloom
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 27, 2020
- Celebrity NewsRobert Rakete's Christmas plans: 'It'll be a breeze!'
Woman's DayDec 25, 2020
- Celebrity NewsJase, Toni & Sam get festive with their four-legged friends
Woman's DayDec 21, 2020
- FamilyThe Terrace at Sylvia Park - what's on offer at this new dining destination
Now To LoveDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsShortland Street's Ben Barrington and Ngahuia Piripi's Christmas celebrations
Woman's DayDec 16, 2020
- Celebrity NewsWendy Petrie and Matty McLean's festive cheer: 'Our hearts are so full'
Woman's DayDec 15, 2020
- Celebrity NewsKanoa Lloyd and Mike McRoberts' best Christmas ever
Woman's DayDec 14, 2020
- Celebrity NewsSoon I’ll be a dad to three under three! Sam Wallace shares his hopes and fears
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyDec 11, 2020
- Celebrity NewsCarolyn Keep's little miracle: 'The baby I never thought I'd have'
Woman's DayDec 10, 2020
- RoyalsMeghan Markle reveals she miscarried her second child in a powerful personal essay
Now To LoveNov 26, 2020
- CompetitionsWin a Farro Hamper and a double pass to Happiest Season
Now To LoveNov 25, 2020