A man has been jailed for 100 years after he was caught on CCTV repeatedly throwing his three year-old stepdaughter in a swimming pool, eventually causing her to drown.
The incident happened last year at a hotel in in the city of Morelia, in the south-western Mexican state of Michoacan. Shocking surveillance footage shows Jose David N. repeatedly throwing the child into the water, as she is seen battling to keep herself afloat. The young girl was unable to swim, and on one occasion Jose can even be seen walking away, only to return and throw her in again.
A third time, he stands watching her as she flails and pleads for help. Eventually he throws a lifebuoy but she is unable to reach it. Other bathers did nothing to try and save her.
The girl’s mother, who is a nurse, had left the child in her stepfather’s care while she slept in the hotel room. She returned to find the lifeless girl in front of the TV, and they took her to hospital. Jose was arrested and detained a short time later.
While he was aware that she could not swim, he expressed surprise after being told that she had drowned. The mother claimed she did not know her daughter was being mistreated until she saw the video clips.
Throughout the murder trial, Jose stayed silent and did not testify. Prosecutors had recommended a prison sentence of up to 40 years, but after seeing the disturbing footage, he was given the more severe punishment of aggravated murder with no possibility of parole.
The video initially sparked outrage last year when it was made public in South America.
- BodyToni Street reflects on the extreme toll her auto-immune disease took on her body
Now To LoveToday 4:02pm
- WeddingsTwo years in the making: Tiki Taane's epic marriage proposal
Woman's DayToday 1:55pm
- TVAussie Bachelor Matt Agnew's embarrassing kissing confession
Now To LoveToday 10:05am
- RoyalsA royal biographer dishes on what the Queen carries in her handbag
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- MoneyEverything you need to know about saving for your retirement
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:15am
- CareerPaul Henry reveals he's 'in talks' to return to TV
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- CompetitionsWin an indulgent prize pack from Young Living Oils
Now To LoveToday 7:00am
- Diet & NutritionHere are 6 energy-boosting food alternatives to coffee
Now To LoveYesterday 2:45pm
- Food & DrinksThese Kiwi oats are the perfect go-to breakfast for busy mornings
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- FamilyA former teen mum shares how she went from pregnant prefect to top of NZ in her career
Now To LoveYesterday 12:17pm
- RelationshipsGreg Boyed's widow posts a touching tribute on the first anniversary of his death
Now To LoveYesterday 11:32am
- TVSam Wallace and Eric Murray bare all on Celebrity Treasure Island
Now To LoveYesterday 10:45am
- RoyalsRevealed: Where Duchess Meghan found inspiration for her wedding day makeup look
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- Travel News'Travel agents are retro' and 3 other misconceptions about travel consultants debunked
Now To LoveYesterday 10:11am
- PetsNZ police have posted a touching tribute to Constable Elliott: the world's first police guinea pig
Now To LoveYesterday 9:21am
- CareerBlack Ferns star Kendra Cocksedge: Living her dream and on a mission to help others live theirs
Woman's DayYesterday 8:10am
- WeddingsDying bride's perfect day: My final dream has come true
Woman's DayAug 20, 2019
- RoyalsPrince Harry's trick to beating a heatwave? ‘Budgie smugglers’, he says
Now To LoveAug 20, 2019