A toddler has been taken away from his parents after being found malnourished from a strictly vegan diet.
The 14-month-old Italian boy is recovering after his parents reportedly fed him a vegan diet that left him dramatically underweight.
According to Britain’s Telegraph, the boy weighed little more than a newborn, and was barely surviving on the diet his parents provided.
Italian authorities have now removed the child from the parent's custody.
Luca Bernardo, director of paediatrics at the Milan hospital treating the boy, said: “It is not a problem to choose different or unusual kinds of nutrition…But since birth, the baby should have had support in this case with calcium and iron.”
The extremely low calcium levels in the boy caused him to suffer a heart condition which led to emergency surgery.
In Italy, 2.8 per cent of the population are vegan – with four other Italian children being hospitalised in the past 18 months for malnutrition.
Authorities are now deciding whether or not to grant the grandparents custody of the child.
Related: Alicia Silverstone talks about her son's vegan diet:
- FamilyThe Kiwi mum who couldn't find a decent parenting book so wrote one herself
Now To LoveToday 8:30pm
- BodyThe simple way to treat ageing skin concerns at home
Now To LoveToday 4:40pm
- TVCarolyn Taylor's epiphany since her return to TV on Dancing With The Stars
Woman's DayToday 2:00pm
- BodyThese common myths about sleep could be compromising your health
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- BodyEverything you need to know about measles and how to beat the disease
Woman's DayToday 7:00am
- FitnessHow our body clocks influence how effectively we exercise
Now To LoveToday 6:00am
- FamilyEight foodie road trip adventures that your family will love
Now To LoveYesterday 5:00pm
- Diet & NutritionIs margarine actually bad for you? Four myths busted
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- At homeHow the right retirement village enabled mum to be mum again
Now To LoveYesterday 2:25pm
- RoyalsPrince Harry's stunning wildlife photography is revealed in celebration of Earth Day
Now To LoveYesterday 11:31am
- RoyalsNew house, new baby, new continent? Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan look set to be moving to Africa
Now To LoveYesterday 9:25am
- Married at First SightMarried at First Sight NZ's Dan and Yuki: 'We're more in love than ever'
Woman's DayYesterday 9:20am
- RoyalsHow the Royal Family spent the day on the Queen’s 93rd birthday
Now To LoveYesterday 9:15am
- CareerThe Kiwi couple who are making comfy prosthetic breasts
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyYesterday 9:00am
- At homeWhy a magazine subscription is the perfect gift for you or someone you love
Now To LoveYesterday 9:00am