Eliza McCartney has spoken out about how a challenging “type of mental illness” almost derailed her in the lead up to the Rio Olympics.
The 19-year-old pole vaulting star told the New Zealand Herald how “mental blocks” had gotten in the way of her training programme for the first half of last year.
The Olympic bronze medal holder explained the performance pressure she was experiencing at the time wasn't easy for her to manage.
“It’s not so much depression but an athlete’s mental block, like a type of mental illness,” she told the New Zealand Herald.
Eliza admits her long-term Rio training programme was affected, and she wasn’t able to just “snap out of it" to keep going.
“You want to snap out of it but you can’t. I didn’t know how to at that point, it’s much harder than an injury to deal with.”
The top-performing athlete, who attended her first Olympics event this year, credited her “tight team” – her family, coach, physio and doctor - for helping her through her the challenging time.
Eliza told the New Zealand Herald she’d hadn’t really thought she’d end up a pole vaulter – that in fact, she’d had her hopes set on becoming a Silver Fern. But a friend’s introduction to decathlon when Eliza was just 14, she said, changed everything.
“It wasn’t my plan to be an Olympic pole vaulter, I just wanted to try it out, so I kept going with it. You don’t love it every single day but when it goes right, you can’t not love it.”
Watch youngest kiwi Olympian performing her gymnastics routine
- FamilyHappy birthday Neve! New Zealand's First Baby turns one!
Now To LoveToday 1:00pm
- FitnessAdele’s taken up a new healthy hobby and it’s helped her lose more than 6kg
Now To LoveToday 10:45am
- RelationshipsOlympic rower Emma Twigg's whirlwind proposal: 'When you know, you know'
Woman's DayToday 10:00am
- FitnessSilver Swans: the ballet class for dancers aged 55-plus
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyToday 9:15am
- CompetitionsBe in to win the trip of a lifetime to Italy with Jo Seagar!
The Australian Women's WeeklyToday 8:00am
- RoyalsMike Tindall makes the Queen laugh when he reveals what's hiding under his top hat
Now To LoveYesterday 4:00pm
- RoyalsA woman is in hospital after an accident involving Prince William and Duchess Catherine's royal convoy
Now To LoveYesterday 12:30pm
- Real LifeJoyous news! Sub title technology for the hearing impaired is being trialled at NZ cinemas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- RoyalsRoyal ladies in blue! See all the gorgeous outfits from the first day of Royal Ascot 2019
Now To LoveYesterday 10:30am
- MindGemma McCaw's 6 steps to being confident in your own skin
Woman's DayYesterday 9:00am
- BodyWhy entering middle-age is actually the perfect time to get your health back on track
Good Health ChoicesJun 18, 2019
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has opened up about the ‘joy’ of adopting rescue animals
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019
- TVCan Matty McLean surprise us all and last the distance on Celebrity Treasure Island?
Now To LoveJun 18, 2019