The musical legend who was David Bowie passed away on Sunday night after an 18 month battle with cancer.
According to the statement on his Facebook page, he was surrounded by family when he died.
‘January 10 2016 - David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief,’ the statement reads.
The musician's publicist confirmed the death, Sky News has said.
As well being a prolific singer, he was an acclaimed producer and actor, starring in the classic 1986 dark fantasy film Labyrinth.
Bowie was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 and Rolling Stone ranked him 39th on their “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” list in 2004.
The shock of his death comes one week after the release of his latest studio album Blackstar, which coincided with his 69th birthday.
The effect of his death is being felt worldwide, with an outpouring of sorrow and heartache being shown by his millions of fans and supporters on Twitter and other social media platforms.
We’ll update this story as more information comes in.
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveToday 4:00pm
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveToday 2:28pm
- RoyalsHappy Birthday Prince Andrew: 7 things you may not know about the Duke of York
Now To LoveToday 9:30am
- Destinations CitiesThe all-women Bali retreat that saved my soul after my fiancé left me
The Australian Women's WeeklyYesterday 1:00pm
- BodyWhy Olivia Newton-John isn't letting battling cancer for the third time get her down
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 11:00am
- WeddingsArt Green and Matilda Rice marry in a stunning Waiheke wedding - and announce they're expecting a baby!
Now To LoveYesterday 10:10am
- Married at First SightMAFS baby on board? Reports suggest this bride is already pregnant
Now To LoveYesterday 8:00am
- Celebrity NewsMiley Cyrus has shared brand new photos from her wedding to Liam Hemsworth
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- RoyalsPrincess Eugenie's special message to husband Jack Brooksbank
Now To LoveFeb 15, 2019
- CareerKiwi women who've made it their mission to make life better for others
The Australian Women's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019
- BodyThis 9 year old has a new heart thanks to one family's incredible gift of life
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyFeb 15, 2019