New-crowned boxing heavyweight champion Joseph Parker will celebrate his win with a much-earned break to be with family and friends.
Last night’s history making boxing match at Auckland’s Vector Arena saw Joseph Parker take out the title in a match against Mexican Andy Ruiz.
The 12 round epic bout gave Parker the win on points with the three judges’ scoring the match 114-114, 115-113 and 115-113.
24-year-old was gracious in victory, thanking his opponent Andy Ruiz.
"Thanks you to Andy Ruiz and his team for putting on a hard fight. I told you Andy was a great fighter with a lot of speed and he showed that tonight."
Parker 's determination to take the WBO world title was apparent throughout the match, although the pair showed a clash of styles, commentators report.
His mother Sala, as promised, entered the ring for the first time to join the celebrations.
In a post-fight press conference Joseph reacted to last night’s win calling it “a dream come true” and said this title fight was just the beginning.
“Now that we’ve won this, we’re going to dominate the heavyweight division. That’s our goal. The goal is now to win, keeping winning and unify those belts."
For now though the world champion will take a break for some much deserved time to be with family and his new baby daughter Elizabeth.
“I couldn’t have done it without my team. I just want to take some time to celebrate with my team, my trainer, Duco events, family, friends. What a great feeling it is.”
Duco Events co-owner Dean Lonergan told Stuff the boxer would be back after Christmas.
"Joe has indicated he wants a bit of a break over Christmas which is understandable because he has had a hard three and a half years. So he will take a break, he will go back into camp and he'll fight.”
- Celebrity NewsLady Gaga has called off her engagement to Christian Carino
Now To LoveToday 1:45pm
- Married at First SightMarried At First Sight's Bronson breaks his silence on THAT comment to Ines
Now To LoveYesterday 3:36pm
- BodyRadio host Sarah Gandy has been diagnosed with breast cancer
Now To LoveYesterday 12:13pm
- RoyalsDuchess Meghan has jetted off to New York for her baby shower
Now To LoveYesterday 11:36am
- FertilityTips for couples who are trying to conceive and not pregnant yet
Now To LoveYesterday 11:19am
- Married at First SightThe truth about MAFS' Sam Ball's honeymoon vanishing act - his ex-girlfriend speaks out
Now To LoveYesterday 11:10am
- RoyalsWhy Prince William and Duchess Catherine will be taking a break from their royal duties this week
Now To LoveYesterday 10:15am
- Pregnancy & BirthGemma McCaw's praise for the midwife who delivered baby Charlotte
Woman's DayYesterday 7:00am
- MoneyOnline shopping fails - Kiwi consumers' hilarious tales
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019
- Celebrity NewsHarper Beckham and Anna Wintour's priceless twinning moment
Now To LoveFeb 18, 2019