New-crowned boxing heavyweight champion Joseph Parker will celebrate his win with a much-earned break to be with family and friends.
Last night’s history making boxing match at Auckland’s Vector Arena saw Joseph Parker take out the title in a match against Mexican Andy Ruiz.
The 12 round epic bout gave Parker the win on points with the three judges’ scoring the match 114-114, 115-113 and 115-113.
24-year-old was gracious in victory, thanking his opponent Andy Ruiz.
"Thanks you to Andy Ruiz and his team for putting on a hard fight. I told you Andy was a great fighter with a lot of speed and he showed that tonight."
Parker 's determination to take the WBO world title was apparent throughout the match, although the pair showed a clash of styles, commentators report.
His mother Sala, as promised, entered the ring for the first time to join the celebrations.
In a post-fight press conference Joseph reacted to last night’s win calling it “a dream come true” and said this title fight was just the beginning.
“Now that we’ve won this, we’re going to dominate the heavyweight division. That’s our goal. The goal is now to win, keeping winning and unify those belts."
For now though the world champion will take a break for some much deserved time to be with family and his new baby daughter Elizabeth.
“I couldn’t have done it without my team. I just want to take some time to celebrate with my team, my trainer, Duco events, family, friends. What a great feeling it is.”
Duco Events co-owner Dean Lonergan told Stuff the boxer would be back after Christmas.
"Joe has indicated he wants a bit of a break over Christmas which is understandable because he has had a hard three and a half years. So he will take a break, he will go back into camp and he'll fight.”
- FamilyHow to get your children off the screens and out into the sunshine
Good Health ChoicesToday 12:00pm
- CareerHow Louise Stainthorpe went from stay at home mum to 'badass businesswoman'
Woman's DayYesterday 3:15pm
- Married at First SightYou won't believe who Married at First Sight's Tamara Joy has hooked up with now
Now To LoveYesterday 10:40am
- FitnessCommon mistakes to avoid when you're working out for weight loss
Good Health ChoicesYesterday 9:30am
- RoyalsThe very unusual way Duchess Camilla just celebrated her 72nd birthday
Now To LoveJul 18, 2019
- TVThe Block NZ's Lisa and Ribz fire back at the 'harsh and nasty' judges
Woman's DayJul 18, 2019
- CareerQueen of tiny: Why I love recreating everything I see in miniature
New Zealand Woman's WeeklyJul 18, 2019
- CompetitionsWin a black and a rose gold Samsung Galaxy Watch Active worth $349 each!
Good Health ChoicesJul 18, 2019
- WeddingsBride quits job to plan her dream wedding and demands her fiancé get a second job
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019
- BodyKaty Perry and Orlando Bloom's new age secret to staying young
Now To LoveJul 17, 2019